cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropbox extorts me anytime I try to use my 'free' services into paying pro

dropbox extorts me anytime I try to use my 'free' services into paying pro

Daniel R.86
New member | Level 2

they claim i'm generating too much traffic. I have 126gb of free space, largest amount is 100gb free for a year which I got because I bought a chromebook SPECIFICALLY for the free space. so every time I try to send ONE large file I get suspended. I'm not violating any terms of service yet they shut off my services, which I've sort of paid for because of said promotions, unless I pay to go pro. Every time. Dropbox is worse than useless. They wait until I've uploaded one large file all night and need to send it before saying oh ya about that you're screwed. Sick and tired of being exploited by their BS terms.

6 Replies 6

Re: dropbox extorts me anytime I try to use my 'free' services into paying pro

Rich
Super User II

@Daniel R.86 wrote:

they claim i'm generating too much traffic. ... every time I try to send ONE large file I get suspended.

If you're receiving a suspension due to bandwidth limits, then you're exceeding the daily limit. How big is the file? If it generates more than 20GB of traffic in a 24-hour period, then you'll exceed the limit of a free account.

That's not extortion. That's Dropbox setting a sensible limit for free accounts, and you exceeding that limit.

Daniel R.86
New member | Level 2

Feels a lot more like bait and switch to me. I don't understand how it violates any terms. I bought a chromebook for a year of 100gb added space, held my up end of that arrangement, but when I use say 25gb in a day in a single file WITHOUT EVEN SHARING IT I've violated the terms? my account gets completely locked down for a month? Why do they allow me enough storage to blow past that in a single file? I also have 26gb for life through various promotions so I can just get locked down anytime I want to actually use MY space as I see fit sharing one file to one person? Smells like crap to me. Also they only notify me well after the fact when someone tries to start a download so they also wait on purpose it seems until the last second when I actually NEED their free services and can't spend 24 hours uploading to google drive as an alternative. it's fine, i'll just pay $2 a month for google drive and dropbox can kick rocks with their bait and switch tactics. 

https://www.aboutchromebooks.com/news/how-to-get-100-gb-of-free-dropbox-storage-for-a-year-on-your-c...

Mark
Super User II

Storage and file transfers are totally different @Daniel R.86. Your account itself isnt locked only your ability to share - for 24 hours the first time. 

Note as well the promo you link to gets you 100gb of STORAGE it is not 100gb of bandwidth, or transfer, or anything else like that. It is storage. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Daniel R.86
New member | Level 2

well, it's not the first time and it increases every time it happens. this is the first time anyone has explained to my WHY it's happening even though i've gone through rounds of this with high level support. last time it was shut off for 3 weeks so it'll be longer this time. whee. 

Daniel R.86
New member | Level 2

it's also dumb that I can have 26gb of PERMANENT space but if i try to upload a 21gb  file i'll be banned without explanation. really dumb terms. they should allow bandwidth to match the amount of free space they allow you to have, and if they do go this route absolutely should explain why it's happening. 

Rich
Super User II

@Daniel R.86 wrote:

... if i try to upload a 21gb  file i'll be banned without explanation.

The bandwidth limits don't apply to files you transfer to your account. It applies to files you share using a shared link, as well as any audio or video you stream directly from your account. In a previous reply you stated that you were trying to send a large file. THAT counts towards your bandwidth usage and would be the cause for your suspension; not uploading and downloading files in your own account.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Daniel R.86 New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?