cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

error message: unable to move or delete files, due to full dropbox- this makes no sense!

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

My DropBox is full- when it gets full, I usually move files from my DropBox folder (on the computer) and then re-sync. But now I get an error message saying I must upgrade to get enough space to move or delete files. Is there a  way around this - other than signing on to more expense?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: error message: unable to move or delete files, due to full dropbox- this makes no sense!

Super User II
Super User II
You should be able to just drag and drop them out of Dropbox. So are you sure it isnt your hard drive saying you are out of space and need more?

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Re: error message: unable to move or delete files, due to full dropbox- this makes no sense!

Super User II
Super User II
If the icon isnt on the icon it isnt running

Try restarting it from the start menu - or you can reinstall at www.dropbox.com/downloading

- - -

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
You should be able to just drag and drop them out of Dropbox. So are you sure it isnt your hard drive saying you are out of space and need more?

- - -

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Matt, you won’t be able to move files within the Dropbox account or folder if the account is overquota. 

However, this shouldn’t stop you from moving files out of the Dropbox folder to another location on your computer. This would count as a ‘deletion’ from Dropbox and would then delete those files from the site.

You don’t need to upgrade in order to delete files from Dropbox.

Could you check that you’re actually moving the files, and not copying them (which keeps the originals in the Dropbox folder)?

Thanks in advance!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
I'm sure I have moved files, not copied them.
My quota is 3.25 gig, currently have 2.7 gigs in the folder.
It must be that DropBox is not syncing as it should- or did I miss something?
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
Can you post a screen grab of the error Mattrawdon?

I strongly suspect you are actually out of hard drive space and not Dropbox

- - -

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Of course I don't get an error message in my folder, only online.

I'm quite certain my hard drive is not full- 175 gigs free.

Am I missing something about sync? - I've never had to actively sync - just change the folder and wait a few minutes to see the changes online.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
Is Dropbox actively syncing then? What does it say if you mouse over its icon on the status bar?

What is the quota showing online? Are you a part of any shares - remember that they gobble up your space also.

- - -

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
quota is 3.25 gig
no shares- formerly a lot, but I've removed them all- my box is for transferring files to others, for the most part
don't see an icon in the status bar, not much there at all.

evidence says dropbox is not syncing, otherwise it would have figured out I've removed over half a gig!
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
If the icon isnt on the icon it isnt running

Try restarting it from the start menu - or you can reinstall at www.dropbox.com/downloading

- - -

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?