cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to retain all files in dropbox while deleting old email and former shared users

Highlighted

how to retain all files in dropbox while deleting old email and former shared users

Explorer | Level 3

I recently parted ways with a job that I had dropbox with.   The job dropbox and my personal had merged.  When I used dropbox there were only certain files in certain folders that when changed would notify my office of "so and so just made changes to ,,,," We all had access to certain folders and only I had access to my personal.  I no longer have access to the company email associated with the dropbox but am still getting notifications when someone there makes a change in those certain folders....

Are they getting notifications when I go into folders in the dropbox? I have not made any changes to those specific files,,havent even tried to open those specific files.  

I would like to retain all the folders and files within but unlink the old work email and then link my new work email.  How do I do the change without losing my data?

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: how to retain all files in dropbox while deleting old email and former shared users

Dropboxer

Hey there @BarnabusCollins,

Just to clarify, is your Dropbox account currently under a Business subscription and part of a team with your old work place? Or perhaps, is it a "personal" account (Dropbox Basic, Plus or Professional) and just linked with the old email address? You can check your current plan from here.

If it's the latter, you can change the email address associated with your account from the account settings page here, by clicking "Edit" next to your current email address.

From what you mentioned of the notifications, they should only receive these when edits are made to the files. Also, just to clarify the matter, are these shared folders you're referring to or team folders?

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: how to retain all files in dropbox while deleting old email and former shared users

Explorer | Level 3

Hello Daphne,

Thank you for your quick response and I apologise for mine taking so long.   I hope this answers your questions.   I had a personal dropbox to begin with and I'm not sure if while with the company I was upgraded or not.  Currently I am with basic dropbox and being asked to upgrade....

I am pretty sure I understand how to delete/edit the email currently associated with those files, but I'm hesitant to do so out of fear of being blocked from the files.   I don't care about being blocked from the ones I keep receiving notification for--only every other one on there.  I am unsure of the difference between shared and team files.   I am guessing that they are team files.  '

As I said I haven't even tried to click on those ones as I don't want them to think that I'm trying to access company files I shouldn't be.   

I appreciate any help you are able to provide.

Thank you 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey @BarnabusCollins,

If you change the email address associated with your Dropbox account, it won't affect your access to any of your files in any way. It will just change how you sign into the account, and the email address that people need to use to share with you in the future.

Should the folder have the following folder icon, it's a shared folder and not a team folder:

Shared folder on the website.Shared folder on the website.

If you no longer need to access this folder containing the old company's data, and want to free up the space it's using, then you can remove the folder from your account. This won't affect the folder for anyone else it's shared with and no notification will be sent when you remove it or even if you add it back at a later date.

I hope this helps - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?