cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: incorrect email address on account

incorrect email address on account

konocti-view
New member | Level 2

I tried to share a file and my email address could not be verified. I found that it is not entered correctly in the account. Seems easy to edit but I have to verify the email address before changing it. This cannot be done since the address on the account is not a valid address. So, how do I get the address changed?

35 Replies 35

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Hi there @konocti-view - sorry to hear you're having issues with this. 

Can you clarify if the typo is in your email's handle or if the domain is misspelled? 

Also, are you getting any specific error if you try to change it through your account's settings?

Let me know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

konocti-view1
Explorer | Level 3

The incorrect address on the account is @hughrs.net. The correct address is @hughes.net.

When I go to change the address, I am told it is already taken. Of course, I'm using it.

Rich
Super User II

@konocti-view1 wrote:

When I go to change the address, I am told it is already taken. Of course, I'm using it.

That typically means that another account already exists with that email address. Have you tried to sign in with it? Reset the password if necessary.

konocti-view1
Explorer | Level 3

I can't reset the password because the email address can't be verified. because of course the wrong address is on the account. 

As to two accounts, I may have one from my Iphone but I'm not aware of it. The reason I say this is because there are photos in memory that come only from the phone. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @konocti-view1, since you're posting on the forum with 2 different accounts, as @Rich suggested, it seems you already have an account with the correct email.

Try logging into the account with the correct email, or resetting the password if you're not sure what it is.

Since that account already exists, you can try downloading the data from the wrong account and then transfer it to the correct one.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

konocti-view1
Explorer | Level 3

Jay, I really appreciate the help. But, all attempts to sign in indicate that the email (@hughrs.net) must be verified before moving forward. That address needs to be changed on the account to the correct "@hughes.net."  

Yes, I tried to sign in with the correct email but the system recognizes my computer. I tried to sign in with another computer and the correct email is not attached to a dropbox account. 

I don't see why dropbox doesn't have a way to change an invalid email address. No one likes to lose data but I'm getting close to pulling the plug on this.

SL10
Explorer | Level 3

Wondering if anyone can help I am trying to change my email address but I never get the email to verify the change is there another way to verify the change? I have checked my spam folder just FYI

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @SL10, welcome to our Community! 

Have you ensured that no-reply@dropbox.com is not blocked? You can also add no-reply@dropbox.com to your address book and request another email, have you tried that?

Keep me posted!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

SL10
Explorer | Level 3

No error it says the email to verify has been sent and the email entered is correct but nothing coming through - nothing in spam, not a blocked email etc.

Need more support?