cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

my account email used in ad

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi. I was visiting a friend a couple of days ago and they asked for a bit of help with their ipad. I noticed they had received an email ad from dropbox advertising a use of Paper. The From field contained my address. When I expanded that in Other , no-reply@dropbox.com was also referenced.

I'm wondering how many other of my contacts have received this, and how this error occurred. I have screenshots if anyone who has an interest in this cares to have a look.

Thanks. This is my first entry in this forum.

Stephen

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: my account email used in ad

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @france21 - how are you today?

My initial thought here would be that you used Paper at some point in the past and, more specifically, that you invited (or shared with) your friend to a Paper doc you were working on. Could that be the case? 

If not, please let me know here and I'll reach out to your Dropbox associated email address so we can have a further look into this.

Thanks a bunch Stephen!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Walter- Thanks for taking a look.

No, I haven't used Paper yet. The only relationship I had with the other user was to share a file. Here's a screenshot.image1.jpg

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot Stephen - much appreciated!

This looks like an invitation to start using Paper in order to collaborate with your friend better and make use of our to-dos within Paper for following the progress on current tasks. 

If they'd like to not receive such emails in the future, they can un-subscribe by clicking the relevant button at the end of the email in question. 

Now, at this point, I can't be sure how this might have happened as the email looks legit and in order to have a further look into this I'd need to check your account's specifics.

Therefore, would it be OK if I reached out to your Dropbox associated email address so we can investigate? 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior or have a question, feel free to Ask for help from the Community here.]

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?