cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need to change email address, but have forgotten password

Highlighted

need to change email address, but have forgotten password

Explorer | Level 3

Hi there.

I need guidance.

I have been unable to find an article in the help community that addresses my particular issue.

I have two dropbox accounts that are connected (work and personal).  Both are basic accounts. I am currently logged in to both and can conveniently switch between them. However, I have forgotten the password to the personal account, and the email address associated with the account is no longer accessible to me because we moved last September (a year ago) and at the time I forgot to update my email address to the new one before we moved.  There is no issue with the work account, I still have the email address associated with the work dropbox and was able to reset the password.

I can’t change the email address associated with the personal account now without the password.  And I can’t request a password reset, because it will email the reset link to an old email account which is long since been closed.

What steps can I take to fix this? 

I'm hoping I don't have to back up my personal dropbox, delete or disconnect it from my work account, create a new basic personal dropbox account and then reload all the files back into the new account.

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: need to change email address, but have forgotten password

Dropboxer

Hi @colin57; welcome to our Community!

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with this; could you please clarify if you're getting any specific errors when trying to edit your personal account's email address online

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter:

There are no errors...in the settings menu, in order for me to change my old email address to a new email address, I must also enter my password to complete the change.  The dilemna for me is that I've forgotten my personal dropbox password and I didnt write it down anywhere, like I did with my work dropbox.  To compound the issue, I can't request a password reset, because it will send the link to reset my password to the old email address, which I no longer have access to.

I have my personal and work dropbox accounts "connected" so I can switch between the two. I am currently logged into both dropboxes and have been logged in for over a year. I am concerned that if I log out of the personal dropbox, I won't be able to log back in to either my work or my personal, because I have forgotten my password, and I can't request a reset because the reset email will go to the old email account.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us here @colin57!

I can suggest checking out the steps provided here to see if you can reset your password.

Most likely, you will need to regain access to the old email address or re-create the email.

Hope this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

That post was the first thing I read on the issue.  Doesn't help me at all.

If you read my post, I have two dropbox accounts which are connected.  A work account and a personal account.

I know the password and email associate with the work account.

I know the email and forgot the password associated with the personal account.

the email address is long gone.  We moved and I can no longer access it.

I can't change the email associated with the personal account without the password, and I can't reset the password because the reset email will get sent to an email I no longer have access to.

:(

Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @colin57,

Do you have a mobile device connected still to your private account? This might be the only way. If you have, you're lucky! 😉 Using "Connect a computer" feature from settings, you can gain access in a web browser window, where actual (currently accessible) email address could be set. Next, you would be able reset the password in the trivial way.

Good luck!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?