cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"New sign in" error email

"New sign in" error email

JBR74
Explorer | Level 4

I am not having any problems with using DropBox, but everytime I login, I get a security alert email wanting me to verify that the login that was detected was really from my PC.  I assume that DropBox must not be able to "remember" my machine ID or browser session ID.  I have had cookies disabled and trackers blocked and thought that might be the cause.  So, I put DropBox on my browser (FireFox) white-list and the emails continue.  I have run the Security Check from the DropBox desktop and all seems well.

I have a third-party security package that monitors all of my internet activity but have not made any adjustments to it (yet).

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: "New sign in" error email

Rich
Super User II

@JBR74 wrote:

... everytime I login, I get a security alert email wanting me to verify that the login that was detected was really from my PC.

It's not an error. Unless you check the Remember me option when signing in, each sign-in will generate an email notifying you that a new sign-in was detected. This is the intended behavior.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Rich
Super User II

@JBR74 wrote:

... everytime I login, I get a security alert email wanting me to verify that the login that was detected was really from my PC.

It's not an error. Unless you check the Remember me option when signing in, each sign-in will generate an email notifying you that a new sign-in was detected. This is the intended behavior.

View solution in original post

artslave
New member | Level 2

Just wondering if this solution worked? I am having the same problem and I'm on a Mac.
Never had this problem before. Just recent – 2020.

Rich
Super User II

@artslave wrote:

I am having the same problem and I'm on a Mac.
Never had this problem before. Just recent – 2020.

What problem, exactly? The issue discussed here isn't a problem as it's the intended behavior; a new email on each login.

JBR74
Explorer | Level 4

Good evening!

No, the instructions did not solve/correct the problem and Yes, I didn't seem to have this error message problem during the early months of my membership.  However, to make sure I didn't misunderstand the advice posted:

1.  Apparently, the DropBox login without the "Remember Me" box being checked, is interpreted as a new login (never before attempted) and alerts the subscriber to the attempt.  Personally, I like having the login attempt alert, but it frustrates me that I can't somehow convince the system that it's me to begin with.

2.  Apparently, the trick (needed to solve #1) is to check the "Remember Me" box (before hitting the Submit button?).  Doing this is supposed to verify my login identity.  Unless I am not doing this correctly (see below), this trick is not working.  And it didn't work when I logged in to reply to your post.

3.  Each time the log in screen loads, the "Remember Me" box is (now) pre-checked.  However, as soon as I load my UN/PW, the box is cleared.  So, I recheck the box and hit Submit.  And, I get the error message email.

4.  The only thing I can think of (that wasn't mentioned in the advice) is that all my session cookies are cleared when I close my browsers.  Don't know if that negates the previous Remember Me, but since I don't know how the process is supposed to work for DropBox, it is only an observation.

5.  I am assuming that the error message email is merely a Customer Service Security FYI message and doesn't impact my access or work.  I have stopped worrying about checking messages and responding, unless (shudder) I really wasn't working when the alert said I was.

Good luck!

artslave
New member | Level 2

@JBR74 and @Rich (Super User II),

Yes – I have this same EXACT issue on my Mac! The "remember me" box is checked ALWAYS and every time I log in I get the email below:

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 1.15.50 PM.png
Super annoying!

However, I am also getting messages like this from my bank and other organizations with tight security, so I am thinking that it may be my computer security prefs and not the web sites...

Thanks for your reply

ptoye
Explorer | Level 4

Doesn't work for me. 'Remember me' is prechecked and I don't clear it. And still get the nag message. It's really annoying. Is there anyone here from Dropbox support who can answer this, or even remove the bug?

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey everyone, thanks for reaching out to us about this. 

Out of curiosity, are you experiencing this behavior regardless of what browser you used? 

Let me know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JBR74
Explorer | Level 4

Hello, Lusil

Yes, the error message is being generated whether I use, Firefox, Chrome or Edge.  I responded to the "Is this You" question to see if that would help and tried the login again in Edge and Chrome.

I have not received a second "error" message after the confirmation, but sometimes the error message takes a while to get sent.

I will wait and update later.

JBR74
Explorer | Level 4

An interesting change!

After verifying the "New Browers in Use" error message, subsequent DropBox logins via MS Edge and Google Chrome did not generate an error message to me.

The login to update this conversation (via Mozilla Firefox) didn't generate one either.

Since I had not made changes to the security settings in any of the browsers, I must assume that there has been some updates to the login coding.  So, a big Thank You to the DropBox tech support staff for taking care of this (somewhat) annoying problem.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JBR74 Explorer | Level 4
    Lusil Dropboxer
    ptoye Explorer | Level 4
    artslave New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?