cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Phantom" files remain after unsyncing folders

Highlighted

"Phantom" files remain after unsyncing folders

New member | Level 2

My Dropbox files were taking up too much space on my hard drive, so I unsynced most of my folders using Selective Sync (I'm a Dropbox Pro user), but instead of my space decreasing, it shows that the space is occupied by system files. I deleted the unsynced folder, the Dropbox application and all associated Dropbox folders, emptied the trash, rebooted a few times and I am still low on hard drive space. I'm using a MacBook Pro 2015 model with High Sierra OS.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: "Phantom" files remain after unsyncing folders

New member | Level 2
Thanks for the tips. It turns out that I had a problem with my computer. I had to wipe it clean to use it until I got a replacement. It works fine now, and now I have a better understanding of how the sync works. I'm very selective about what folders I choose to sync now.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Hey there (@lwill74), sorry to hear that you haven’t been able to regain the space you needed locally, let’s take it from where you’ve left off on your end! 

It’s my understanding that you’ve already tried following the steps outlined on this resource, am I on the right track? If so, can you also try uninstalling the Dropbox contextual menu & your Dropbox application settings (i.e. if you haven't done so already)

Additionally, would you mind checking whether you still have the Dropbox cache folder stored on your Mac? If that’s the case, would you mind deleting that as well & see if that makes a difference? 

From there, I’d appreciate a screenshot (omitting personal info) of how this issue has manifested itself on your end, so as to paint a clearer picture of what’s happening.

Please let me know how you get on with my suggestions in your next message here & I’ll follow-up with you as closely as possible; I’m looking forward to hearing back from you!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
Thanks for the tips. It turns out that I had a problem with my computer. I had to wipe it clean to use it until I got a replacement. It works fine now, and now I have a better understanding of how the sync works. I'm very selective about what folders I choose to sync now.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back in touch with me here (@lwill74) to let me know of the progress you’ve made on your end! I’ve gone ahead & marked your last comment as the Best Answer, just because you mentioned that the cause was slightly different than what I had suspected initially. 

Regardless, feel free to consider that a direct point of reference with me should you need further assistance in the future. Happy syncing & I'm wishing you a fruitful week ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?