cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

"Too many log in attempts. Try again in a few minutes."

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I am a classroom teacher. I have a class dropbox that my students log into to retrieve documents, turn in assignments, etc. This has worked great FOR YEARS. Until today. Now when my students try to log on from any device (mostly iPads), Dropbox says, "Too many log in attempts. Try again in a few minutes." This is NOT due to putting in the wrong password. Also, it says you can link unlimited devices. At first, if they had the app it worked fine, and it only did this when they were using a web browsers. Now it won't even let them in from the app. I have been to the security tab and ended all sessions, thinking that would help. It did not. Does anyone have any ideas? Dropbox keeps me from LIVING in the copy room or hunting for student work in my email. MANY teachers here use it. PLEASE HELP.

26 Replies 26
Highlighted

Re: "Too many log in attempts. Try again in a few minutes."

Super User II
Super User II

I'm not sure if you are going to be able to work around this.

Dropbox have always allowed unlimited devices etc. to access Dropbox - but for one user. Dropbox has never ever been intended that multiple users have 1 log on and they frequently explicitly state not to do so. For example, if all your students have access to the account (i.e. email/password) they are all technically 'owners'. That means they can legitimately go in to that account and delete files, permanently delete files, even change the email or account password and you could do NOTHING about it - after all, they have full rights to do so and you've given them those rights.

You really need to rethink your processes here as its a recipe for disaster (and this is from an Assistant Head Teacher!). Where is your audit trail of homework being handed in? How do you know it isnt being copied? What happens if a child says 'but I did upload it!' and it isnt there (another child could have deleted it).

There are plenty of teacher centric applications/sites/systems out there for schools, use one of those rather than trying to force Dropbox to do something it isnt intended to do and will fail at in the future.

If you really want to use Dropbox ('cause it is a great program!) why not get every student to create an individual account that they share a folder with to your own 'master' one? They then log in on there own account, but, can see all of your info as its in that shared folder. You could even have individual upload folders per student as well if you wanted so that nobody else can see there work.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Fck, I'm facing the same problem too! It's not about the process, it's about dropbox fckn glitch that prevents only one me to log in from my new phone!

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Same with me. Never happened before, just this morning

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hey, me too! I can log in on a browser but the app gives the same message 

Just installed on new phone today.

HELLLLPPPP ...... please!

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Regardless of Dropbox's intent, I got a new device, and am trying to log in, but get this message, too. The mobile app is the issue, I can log in online, but get 'too many tries, try again  later '.

How long is 'later'? I waited 8 hrs, and still the  same  results. 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

The same. I was able to sign in for this comment now but not able to do that from the mobile app using identical credentials.

Please help.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Same here. Can sign in on the webpage, but I am not able to login using the app on my android device.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Will someone from Dropbox PLEASE help us?!!!

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

PLEASE HELP!! DROPBOX OPERATIVES WHERE ARE YOU!!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?