cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Viewing long file names in Dropbox browser version" is no longer solved due to Dropbox update

"Viewing long file names in Dropbox browser version" is no longer solved due to Dropbox update

John P.38
Helpful | Level 6

This post concerns the Dropbox web interface.  It is a follow-up post to https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Manage-account/Viewing-long-file-names-in-Dropbox-browser-version/td....

The original problem was that the Dropbox web interface (e.g., https://www.dropbox.com/home) hides parts of a file name if it thinks there is insufficient space to display the full name.  I temporarily solved this with a user CSS style that forced file names to be displayed completely, using word wrap as needed.  A moderator marked my post as an "Accepted solution" and closed the thread.

However, a recent Dropbox update changed the way that file names are hidden.   It now directly deletes file name text from the page, and my fix no longer works.  User styles cannot unhide data that is removed entirely.  I guess Dropbox is strongly opposed to users being able to read long file names.

Would a moderate please *unmark* my post in the above-linked thread as an "accepted solution"?  Due to Dropbox's actions, it is no longer a solution, and I would prefer that my work not be misrepresented as such.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: "Viewing long file names in Dropbox browser version" is no longer solved due to Dropbo

Jane
Dropboxer
I appreciate it a lot that you circled back here, in order to keep the Community updated John P.38!

As per your request, I’ve now un-marked your post as a Solution, so other users having the same question may see the post, though they’ll be redirected to your newest reply here. I’ve also added a brief note informing them of your latest comment, so as to keep everything neat. 

Please don’t hesitate to reach back out at any time & we’ll do our best to follow-up wth you. Take care until we talk again John! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Re: "Viewing long file names in Dropbox browser version" is no longer solved due to Dropbo

Mark
Super User II
As the post was valid a year ago and marked as a solution then that thread is now locked and no longer editable.

All you can do is, as you have done, start a new thread saying it no longer works.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jane
Dropboxer
I appreciate it a lot that you circled back here, in order to keep the Community updated John P.38!

As per your request, I’ve now un-marked your post as a Solution, so other users having the same question may see the post, though they’ll be redirected to your newest reply here. I’ve also added a brief note informing them of your latest comment, so as to keep everything neat. 

Please don’t hesitate to reach back out at any time & we’ll do our best to follow-up wth you. Take care until we talk again John! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

John P.38
Helpful | Level 6
Thank you. I appreciate your help.

Meadors
New member | Level 2

Has anything been done regarding this issue? I sometimes receive folders of files with specific naming conventions and it's really hard to find the information I need when I can't see the entire file name and clicking through 100s of sheets is pretty rediculous. No matter how the page is sized dropbox does not change the name column width. I even attempted widening the box over both of my monitors and they stayed the same width. Please add this functionality soon as it was pointed out over 2 years ago as an issue.

Extended across both monitors, file names stay the sameExtended across both monitors, file names stay the sameStandard window sizeStandard window size

SGill1
New member | Level 2
Hi again. I’m posting this to all the threads on this topic, just to keep it on the radar for the developers (haha). This is still a problem with Dropbox in web browsers. Generally the interface allocates only about 10-20% of the screen real estate to viewing the actual files. Ridiculous. It’s been disappointing me and many others for 3 or 4 years now. Their other interfaces are great, BUT the beauty of cloud files is to have a window into your files anywhere. If you’re on a shared computer? Sorry, you only get a peephole.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

SGill1 New member | Level 2
    Meadors New member | Level 2
    John P.38 Helpful | Level 6
    Jane Dropboxer
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?