cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I'm getting the message "Your Dropbox is full". It's not.

"Your dropbox is full" but it isn't

Solomon N.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

On Mac air with newest OS. I uninstalled the app, checked the hard drive, restarted the computer, barked at the moon, clapped twice and prayed to allah. The problem remains. 

I refuse to pay to upgrade. I cannot sync additional files. 

51 Replies 51

Joshua L.15
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm having this problem with my Dropbox as well.

This is a company computer and I need access to my company dropbox. I was given access to all of the folders on the account but for some reason only a portion of them show up on my desktop. I have to log in to see them which makes dropbox absolutely worthless (coupled with their non-responsiveness I can't imagine we'll be using them very much longer). 

On top of not having access on the desktop to all of the files and folders I received a notification that my Dropbox is full even though we've recently just purchased an upgrade. I have 2Gb of a Tb used and I still have gigs of storage on my harddrive.

They need a help desk.You asked this question in May and there hasn't been a response from them.

Lee B.29
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just received a "Dropbox is full" message, when I'm currently using about 161GB of my terabyte of storage.  I think it's related to one shared folder, because that folder hasn't updated since another user added around 100 photos to it yesterday.Those pix would chew up some storage, but not 800 GB. Outside of that folder, all seems to be well with Dropbox sync. 

Paul G.27
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Dropbox says that I am using 3.1GB of 2.5GB.  I have no files in any of my folders. A friend has shared files with me - but all in his folder, all with his ownership. None are on my desktop.

I am getting the message:

"Your Dropbox is full. Upgrade now for 1 TB (1,000 GB) of space and sharing features.

"When your Dropbox is full, you are unable to sync files across devices and join shared folders. Get more space to lift these restrictions."

How do I get rid of this message?

Julian O.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi Paul!

When you join a shared folder, that folder now resides in your Dropbox too and therefore takes up space.

Your Dropbox quota is calculated based on the total contents of your Dropbox, which includes shared folders. A Dropbox account can't sync more than its quota, so a 2 GB account can't sync more than 2 GB, including the space taken up by shared folders. Because every member of a shared folder can add and modify the files in the shared folder, the shared folder takes up space in each member's account. This policy exists to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited space by stacking Basic accounts and shared folders.

If you need a little more space, you can visit the following pages on our website to see how you can earn bonus space:

- Earn bonus space by learning about Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/gs
- Earn bonus space by referring people to Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals
- Earn bonus space by telling people about Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/free

Thanks,

Dom

Geoffrey F.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Me too. On Windows 10. No barking, but much gnashing of teeth. 243 KB of 2 GB used, yet I can't join a new shared folder for lack of space for three days now - and they assure me that it isn't huge.

Solomon N.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Please let me know if you find a solution.

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Geoffrey - shared folders count in full against your account quota - if its larger than your available space then you cannot accept the invite.

Solomon - you need to delete files from your Dropbox or upgrade.

Solomon N.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Richard. I deleted tons of files and am well under my allowed space. Its still a problem. 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

What files are showing at www.dropbox.com/home and www.dropbox.com/account THEY are the ones to look at. 

If you want to accept a shared folder, it doesn't matter if you are under your limit. If accepting a share would put you over it then you cant. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Doug N.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm having the same or a similar problem.  When I try to accept an invitation, I receive a pop-up that state:

"Your personal Dropbox will run out of space if you accept this invitation."  My account shows I'm only using 7mb of 2.75 available, and I'm assured by the originator of the folder that it is less than 250 mb.  What else could I try?

Need more support?