cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox desktop client builds

Download the latest Dropbox beta or stable build.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Beta Build 110.3.425 - Apple M1

Beta Build 110.3.425

clientreleases
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for using Dropbox! The desktop client is regularly updated with many improvements and fixes.

Download

Windows Standard Installer Offline Installer
Mac OS X Standard Installer Offline Installer
Linux x86_64 Offline Installer x86 OfflineInstaller

Auto-updates: Everyone who chose "Include me on early releases" on the Settings page

This is an early release feature that is subject to these additional terms.

79 Replies 79

djellison
New member | Level 2

dolfke  - that's three times you've come into this thread to make the same comment.

Why all this buzz?

Because dev kits were out 9 months ago.

Because Rosetta isn't as efficient as native

Because if they're not keeping current on this, then what other performance or security improvements to MacOS are they also not using.

Why all this effort from you apologizing on behalf of Dropbox for slow/lazy/incompetent development.

Mannaffolki
Collaborator | Level 8

@djellison — seconding your opinion. We need native support. Not now, not even yesterday, but months ago.
Devs, better get to work before Apple changes to new hardware again.

leftnotracks
Helpful | Level 6
In November Dropbox suggested a native build was weeks away.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-desktop-client-builds/Beta-Build-110-3-425/m-p/469696/highli...

Well, it’s been 22 weeks and so far nothing. Doesn’t speak well of their credibility (saying a build was weeks from shipping) or competence.

Frederic C.2
Helpful | Level 6
Rosetta version of DropBox is taking around 1gb of Ram on my computer. Apple M1 apps takes less memory.
I'm already searching for an alternative service after more than 10years here. I'm tired of poor support and lack of communication.

Not applicable

A native Apple Silicon version looks like a long way ahead. Apple Silicon Macs have tighter security which prevents system extensions (which Dropbox uses) from running until the user boots into Recovery mode and enable them. This makes installing Dropbox more difficult for the average user, which is probably why no native version is available.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchl768f7291/mac

I can understand, from a support view that Dropbox is hesitant to have users go through the procedure, but they lack in communication about the reason a native Apple Silicon version does not exist yet. The current version runs OK on my Intel machine, but uses too much resources on my M1 Macbook, but this is also due to having a lot of bloat in the new application which I do not need and if not fixed will probably make me switch to another cloud service, enough choices out there... 🙂

Not applicable

It looks like Dropbox (and other sync services) will 'need' to switch their apps to the File Provider Framework from Apple, which is built in the OS and is also used by iCloud (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/fileprovider)

Frederic C.2
Helpful | Level 6

I switched to another service, that runs natively on M1 since monthes, offers a comparable kind of service and only take less than 100Mb of Memory. It is apparently possible to do so, but DropBox seems to not be ready for that kind of work.

BietBat
Helpful | Level 5
So which one then?

Grant6
Helpful | Level 7

Come now, you can't say "another service" and not tell us which one! 🙂

I, personally, am setting up (well, have set up) a NextCloud server on a Raspberry Pi and am considering moving the data and functionality for which I use Dropbox to it. It doesn't have some key handy features of Dropbox Pro though (namely smart sync), so I wouldn't recommend it as a Dropbox replacement.

Not applicable
I know Sync.com has a M1 native client. It also has e2e encryption, which is nice but does have some downsides (does not do block-level file sync).

The level of integration possibilities with Dropbox are really great, also it works pretty stable for me know. I just don’t like the bulky client with bells & whistles I do not use but take up memory. I tried https://github.com/SamSchott/maestral but it is a bit limited.
Need more support?