cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox desktop client builds

Download the latest Dropbox beta or stable build.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable Build 142.4.4197

Stable Build 142.4.4197

clientreleases
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for using Dropbox! The desktop client is regularly updated with many improvements and fixes.

Download

Windows Standard Installer Offline Installer
Mac OS X Standard Installer (Universal) Offline Installer (Intel)
Linux x86_64 Offline Installer x86 Offline Installer

Auto-updates: In progress

18 Replies 18

mathematix
Helpful | Level 6

The MacAutoUpdate process, the Dropbox installer app, and downloading the .dmg file all fail at various points during the download. Dropbox support did not really have any ideas how to handle this. Other downloads from my computer of about the same size are fine, so it is not my internet connection (slow, but it does get there in the end). It seems to be Dropbox.com specific .

markmtz
Helpful | Level 5

I was at v140.4.1951 and experiencing the hourly DropboxMacUpdate attempts to download something. I finally tried the offline installer for 142.4.4197 but I had to work at downloading it. The network connection to dropbox timed out every few minutes, but I was able to resume the download and eventually get the DMG. Once downloaded it installs and runs ok. We'll see what happens with DropboxMacUpdate now.

mathematix
Helpful | Level 6

Can you define "work at downloading" a bit more? When I try re-downloading in Safari it just restarts from zero, so I never get the whole file. Are you using a downloading app or another browser? I am willing to try everything at this moment...

mathematix
Helpful | Level 6

Update: Thanks to the hint from the previous poster I tried downloading the new dropbox installer file with a download manager (Download shuttle, but any other might also work). The link at the beginning of this post points to a download page and can thus not be used to download the file directly with the DL manager; once the download starts in Safari (or similar) you can right click the download and copy the address. (in this case https://edge.dropboxstatic.com/dbx-releng/client/Dropbox%20142.4.4197.dmg). This will point the DL manager to the correct file. I noticed that the download was interrupted about 10-20 times during the total 40 minutes download time, but unlike Safari the DL manager restarted and finished the job. The recent instability of this server ( and/or connection to my particular computer? I don't know where the blame lies) is probably why the automatic updates or the direct manual download failed every time. This does not solve the problem with the Autoupdate failing, but at leasts shows a way to manually update Dropbox to keep that bandwidth-hungry monster quiet for a while...

Dropbox help suggested that I unselect the option (under My Settings) to download each of the latest builds, which helps to decrease the frequency of the unwanted downloads. Hope this helps others with the same troubles.

mathematix
Helpful | Level 6

Use a download manager and copy the address of the linked file from the download itself, not the link as given here in the first post. That might help overcome an unstable connection and result in a correct .dmg file

markmtz
Helpful | Level 5

It looks like you found a solution. By "work at downloading" I mean I was watching the download progress in Safari. Each time the download stopped, telling me that the network connection had been lost, I used the resume button on the download progress bar. The download resumed correctly. I had to resume the download like this, 6 or 7 times, to get the complete DMG.

Downloads of large files from other sites don't behave this way. I have a slow DSL network connection. Dropbox seems to be behaving normally now.

snmorbe
Collaborator | Level 8

@Fabio L. How can I check and know if I have the Stable M1 version for Macbook Pro?

crampr
New member | Level 2

I've had a similar experience on my 2019 iMac (Monterey v12.0.1 running DB v142.4.4197), with over 100GB excess data usage in February & ramping up to be similar this month.
Investigating network activity I've found that, in my case, the process dropboxmacupdate is the culprit.
The version of dropboxmacupdate on my mac was updated Jan 22nd 2022 & is version 142.0.15.
Have quit the process & my data usage has returned to normal (no extra data charges for me thank goodness this month!!)

akseeker
Helpful | Level 6

(macOS High Sierra v 10.13.6, mid-2010 MacBook Pro)

I'm up to DB 151.4.4304, and DropboxMacUpdate is still using a lot of bandwidth, 5.32 GB in 20 or so hours.

I'm stuck with a 1-Meg connection ATM, prolly won't change in the near future.

Does net connection speed have anything to do with the huge amount of usage? Is it trying to download the update, but failing (due to timeout?) and retrying the download?

Frustrating, and trying to get in contact with DB team is nearly impossible, in my experience. Arrgh!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

akseeker Helpful | Level 6
    crampr New member | Level 2
    snmorbe Collaborator | Level 8
    markmtz Helpful | Level 5
    mathematix Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?