cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox desktop client builds

Download the latest Dropbox beta or stable build.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Stable Build 168.4.4802

Stable Build 168.4.4802

clientreleases
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for using Dropbox! The desktop client is regularly updated with many improvements and fixes including the following:

Fixes in this update:

• Fixed an issue that prevented users from adding a payment method when they have no active payment method.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented online-only files from being launched from File Explorer on certain versions of Windows 10 and above.
  • Fixed an issue that caused a persistent notification that couldn't be dismissed for users that had successfully shared content.
  • Fixed an issue where users upgrading to Dropbox for macOS may have gotten stuck in a loading state.

Download

Windows Standard Installer Offline Installer (32 Bit)
Offline Installer (64 Bit)
Mac OS X Standard Installer (Universal) Offline Installer (Intel)
Offline Installer (Apple Silicon)
Linux x86_64 Offline Installer x86 Offline Installer

Auto-updates: In progress

8 Replies 8

detailgetreu
Explorer | Level 4

I am currently very disappointed with Dropbox and especially with this update.

I work on a Mac Studio Ultra (M1) and a Macbook Pro 14" 2023 (M2).

Actually, I would like to know that my files are safe in the cloud and also synchronize my customer projects on the desktop and notebook. I've bought the notebook 14 days ago and haven't even been able to use it productively yet because both computers are constantly indexing and synchronizing to death.

Installing the same stable version of the Dropbox software on both computers was a Herculean task. Why does the Client Builds and ChangeLogs page have to be hidden so deep in the forum? As a decent software provider, you should already offer your customers a visible link to the changelog and previous software versions on the main download page.

Regardless of this, it is not possible to open online files. Even syncing and downloading simple files takes forever if it works at all.

Bizarrely, the new folder structure has been created in Library/CloudStorage on the M1-Mac Studio. This did not happen on the M2 notebook and cannot be adjusted. For this purpose, both folders in Users/Dropbox and Users/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox were kept on the Mac Studio. Some file edits therefore went completely in the nexus. Also, many thanks to the Dropbox team for the 700 GB of garbage on my hard drive.

I've been a paying Dropbox customer for years and in the next few days I'll be canceling my entire subscription, having my credit card payment taken back due to poor performance and moving to GoogleCloud.

Unfortunately, Dropbox has not been a productive solution for several months.

You should be ashamed of putting such a poor product on the market and taking money from users who trusted you for it.

A disappointed customer.

Phreaze
Helpful | Level 6

Since automatically updating to this version (I assume because this issue occurred right when this was version was released and I am running 168.4.4802) dropbox is now not syncing. It's stuck on "starting" on the desktop version so isn't saving/syncing anything to the cloud, but locally only. I am running Windows 7 Professional and a paying dropbox customer. I've tried restarting the whole PC. I've tried quitting dropbox and restarting that. The settings say its unlinked (because it is still starting up I imagine) so I can't try logging in and out. Not sure what to do here. Any suggestions?

2LiveDrew
Explorer | Level 4

I am having the same issue on windows 7 pro. If I install the previous version everything works perfectly but then it auto-updates and stops working again. 

Phreaze
Helpful | Level 6
I contacted tech help and they said it’s because the new build requires windows 8 or higher and there’s no way to stop it from updating. I’m going to have to look for another alternative service as I can’t update my computers to use later versions of Windows as I have specialty equipment/programs that only work with Windows 7 or pro. I wish they had given us a proper heads up about this or atleast give us the option to not update so we can keep the older Dropbox version and continue to use that. If anyone knows how we can turn off auto updating if possible, that would be helpful!

Junqueira
Explorer | Level 4
  • Fixed an issue where users upgrading to Dropbox for macOS may have gotten stuck in a loading state.

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

dmarchan
Helpful | Level 5

I have the same problem as you with Windows 7 and version 168.4.4802 since a few days.

I completely uninstalled Dropbox on my computer.

I installed a portable version DropboxPortableAHK (Link https://nionsoftware.com/dbpahk/download)

Now, it seems to work fine again.

Just have to add manually DropboxPortableAHK to the startup manager.

It is my solution to avoid the obsolescence of Dropbox with Windows 7.

Chad-Paris
New member | Level 2

Hello,

Why don't you leave the user to choose how they want it to work?

Seriously, I've been using DropBox (paid version) since its launch, and now I have to admit that you're blocking/limiting users.

You will stupidly lose customers.

Do something. 

Thanks,

CP.

Phreaze
Helpful | Level 6
What’s funny is when I contacted Dropbox, customer service was practically pushing me out the door. She asked if I wanted to cancel now, I said no as I have to back up all the files etc and not sure when I can get around to this. Then about a few more paragraphs and questions later, she said “would you like me to cancel now? It will take effect in a few weeks” , I had to them say “NO” lol But yeah I agree, should’ve given us the option to update dropbox (not have to update our whole operating system for this one app) and some proper notice beforehand that we weren’t going to be able to use it after the update would’ve been nice.
Need more support?