cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox desktop client builds

Download the latest Dropbox beta or stable build.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable Build 83.4.152

Stable Build 83.4.152

clientreleases
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for using Dropbox! The desktop client is regularly updated with many improvements and fixes.

Download

Windows Standard Installer Offline Installer
Mac OS X Standard Installer Offline Installer
Linux x86_64 Offline Installer x86 OfflineInstaller

Auto-updates: In progress

47 Replies 47

layolayo1
Helpful | Level 6

abarrcms,

I get exactly the same result:

layolayo@thinkpad:~$ nautilus --version
Initializing nautilus-image-converter extension
Initializing nautilus-dropbox 2019.02.14
GNOME nautilus 3.34.1
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

abarrcms
Helpful | Level 6

I sent your nautilus --version results to Dropbox Support right away, so they could see that your results were in accordance with mine.

They have sent it all to their advanced engineering team. They said they'd get back to me when they "had something." At that point, I'll report again.  I haven't heard anything yet.

I had also told them that I found a package installation that might be sort of a mismatch,

$ ls -l  /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*dropbox*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 66 Feb 16 23:08 /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dropbox.list

The contents of the file are:

deb [arch=i386,amd64] http://linux.dropbox.com/ubuntu cosmic main

This file has the timestamp from when I reinstalled dropbox, as per their original request.

However, the "cosmic" version of dropbox is for Ubuntu 18.10 (which is when I first noticed the submenu problem taking place on a different machine, a long time ago.).

We're on Ubuntu 19.10 , so I think this should say eoan instead of cosmic, if everything was up-to-date and compatible.

They didn't suggest anything, but I tried to reinstall nautilus which didn't change anything, and nautilus-dropbox, but it wouldn't install. Not sure if that was a "good" thing to try to do or not. I might have made a mess, where I may have to reinstall Dropbox again.

I also told them that it would be great for the Dropbox submenu to work correctly also for Ubuntu 20.04, which will be a stable release, where it should have its own tag here, saying "focal" or something like that instead of "cosmic." 

Anyway, thanks for the timely info!! They received a copy of it right away.

I think we gave them some good clues, where your similar results should show them that this is a likely problem for many users.

We'll see if they can find anything to suggest for us!

abarrcms
Helpful | Level 6

I pinged Dropbox again, alerting them to the upcoming release of Ubuntu 20.04 , a long term service, stable release of Ubuntu.

I suggested they really try to fix it now, for 20.04, or else ALL of the new Dropbox Ubuntu users, for the next few years, are likely to have the same problem.

We'll see what their reponse is, soon enough!

layolayo
Helpful | Level 5
It needs it! I upgraded my laptop two days ago to 20.04 and this was the first thing I checked... Still glitchy.

abarrcms
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks, @layolayo , that was really great information!

I told the Dropbox team about your experience, that it's still glitchy in 20.04 .

I told them that I'd like to "elevate" this problem AGAIN, to the next level, beyond where it currently is.

I also suggested that they their team should try it out, on a fresh install of 20.04 , and see if it works for them or not. If it works for them, but not for us, then perhaps there is a subtle installation issue, for them to track down and tell us. 

I also gave them a link to try -- to download a beta from  http://releases.ubuntu.com/20.04/ .

Also, you could try the

$ nautilus --version

command, in 20.04 and I can tell them what the output is.  They didn't tell me to try that this time. I haven't upgraded to 20.04 yet.

You could also try the following, where for me, the dropbox.list file has "cosmic" in it instead of eoan (for 19.10).

$ ls -l  /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*dropbox*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 66 Feb 16 23:08 /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dropbox.list

The content of my dropbox.list file is:

deb [arch=i386,amd64] http://linux.dropbox.com/ubuntu cosmic main

What happens if you change "cosmic" in this file, to "fossa" (for 20.04)?  And then you did a sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade?

Perhaps it will install the correct software then, and work?  I don't know, of course! Hopefully this won't mess up your system too much. You could always change the dropbox.list file back to what it was, hopefully, to restore the previous state.

This didn't help me, on 19.10, but maybe it can help for 20.04?

Anyway, I'll see what they suggest next, and will get back to you!

Thanks for the information on 20.04 !

layolayo1
Helpful | Level 6

@abarrcms 

$ nautilus --version
Initializing nautilus-image-converter extension
Initializing nautilus-dropbox 2020.03.04
GNOME nautilus 3.36.1
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

The content of my dropbox.list file is:

deb [arch=i386,amd64] http://linux.dropbox.com/ubuntu disco main

Changed to eoan and focal, both of which fail.

Successful operation of the dropbox menu appears to happen a little more frequently... so if I click rapidly about 10-15 times I sometimes get the dropdown to fix in place... 

(also, it appears I cannot login on my laptop as layolayo, it defaults to the other account layolayo1...??)

abarrcms
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @layolayo !

I relayed your information to the Dropbox team.

They said they're still working on it, but thanked me for your information. They said:

• ... I have relayed your update to the Engineering Team. ...
  • ... We have already been collaborating on the problem itself. I have also been keeping an eye on the forum for updates from our users. ...
  • ... We are diligently aware of your needs and we will get this issue resolved. ...
  • ... Thank you for keeping me updated. We appreciate it. ...

I also pointed out that Ubuntu 20.04 is an ESM release, for paying Ubuntu customers.

• ... More interestingly for businesses and enterprise scenarios is news that this release will be supported for 10 years as an ‘extended maintenance release’ (ESM) ...

I suggested they get even more help from Ubuntu, to try and track down the problem, since Ubuntu will be paid for maintaining this system, by some users.

Hopefully, they'll figure out what's wrong and can get back to us! I also saw that for some people there are some workarounds and that this problem is listed as being "Solved." I tried some of those fixes, but they didn't work for me.

But I didn't try everything I found.

I guess we'll just have to wait even longer!

Thanks for your information, though! I sent it to the Dropbox team.

paulouruguay
Explorer | Level 4

My problem comes down the path of synchronizing the "desktop" and "documents" folders in macos. I have installed the latest version of macos catalina. When restarting the mac, it does not synchronize the data found in the "desktop" and in the "documents" folder, therefore the files are not in the same place as before.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

paulouruguay Explorer | Level 4
    abarrcms Helpful | Level 6
    layolayo1 Helpful | Level 6
    layolayo Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?