cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox desktop client builds

Download the latest Dropbox beta or stable build.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Stable Build 88.4.172

Stable Build 88.4.172

clientreleases
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for using Dropbox! The desktop client is regularly updated with many improvements and fixes.

Download

Windows Standard Installer Offline Installer
Mac OS X Standard Installer Offline Installer
Linux x86_64 Offline Installer x86 OfflineInstaller

Auto-updates: In progress

40 Replies 40

Typpi
Helpful | Level 6

Hello,

I am on the 20$ a month dropbox plan so IDK if that makes a difference,

but I've had that option for over 2 months now I'd say.

-Typpi

floechen
New member | Level 2

Saved the problem, with the following actions:

1. Delete all the "conflicted" files
  2. Restarted the box
  3. Stopped all other services which access files, such as OwnCloud, Skype, Update Services etc.
  4. Reinstalled Dropbox Client

Quite tedious, but finally successful.

HW71
Explorer | Level 4

I had the same issue with endless "Syncing" on my Linux Mint Debian box (the tooltip just showed "Syncing..." with no additional information regarding how many files etc.).

I then closed DropBox and started again from command line in order to see if there's some useful output - and actually there was:

erik@thinkpad:~$ Unable to monitor entire Dropbox folder hierarchy. Please run "echo fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000 | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf; sudo sysctl -p" and restart Dropbox to fix the problem.

I executed the command given in the error, and now I see at least some hints in the tooltip regarding number of files to be up- / downloaded (=> this information was missing previously).

So not quite sure if this could be helpful for others, but keeping fingers crossed!

Cheers, Erik

MrAnderson
Helpful | Level 5

Found a problem with this new release, it seems to remove file permissions when the file is sync'd from another computer.

For example lets say in Windows I've added a user to a folder. Then on that same machine I create a file withi nthat folder. It gains the permissions of the folder correctly.

But if I then edit that file on another computer, it syncs the change to the first computer but the file loses the permissions of its parent folder even though I've told Windows to make all the sub-folders and files within that folder inheret the permissions.

This creates an obvious problem where the users I've told to be able to edit those files (or even programs that create users for permission use) cannot then interact with those files anymore.

Please provide a fix for this as it's a huge feature regression.

Tohal
New member | Level 2

This not at all a stable version. As has happened to many others, I am stuck in a permanent Sync. Why no update from Dropbox given all of the comments in this thread?

Dropbox on Windows 10

s4ndman
Helpful | Level 7

Beta version 89.3.272 did not solve the problem. The solution is migrate to another cloud provider.

Brian1
Collaborator | Level 10

What about today's stable 89.4.278?

Server_Align
Collaborator | Level 10

@MrAnderson wrote:

Found a problem with this new release, it seems to remove file permissions when the file is sync'd from another computer.

For example lets say in Windows I've added a user to a folder. Then on that same machine I create a file withi nthat folder. It gains the permissions of the folder correctly.

But if I then edit that file on another computer, it syncs the change to the first computer but the file loses the permissions of its parent folder even though I've told Windows to make all the sub-folders and files within that folder inheret the permissions.

This creates an obvious problem where the users I've told to be able to edit those files (or even programs that create users for permission use) cannot then interact with those files anymore.

Please provide a fix for this as it's a huge feature regression.

I cant beleive they have done that AGAIN.

They did this years ago, I reported it when it was still in BETA and they did NOTHING.

They then added it to the main release.

Test the following : go to the .dropbox.cache folder and add a user permission, have a file update remotely and see if it gets the permissions of the .dropbox.cache folder if its the same fail on DB's part. They build the file in there then move it with out it getting its new location permissions. 

Slack testing since this was a previous issue and they did not add it to the test board for checkiong, slack slack slack and not in the comunication platfom way DB!

MrAnderson
Helpful | Level 5

I did that as I read about it in another comment on here a few days ago and it does work. Just now obviously every file I sync now gains those permissions even though I may not have wanted that etc

Server_Align
Collaborator | Level 10

@Brian1 wrote:

What about today's stable 89.4.278?

The "Endless" "Syncing..." is not endless just a HUGE delay.

All the files in the Dropbox are being reindexed, the result is a HUGE delay, once that delay has started NO VERSION change will help you. The version removes the old database files and reindexes from scratch so if your experencing it YOU WILL EXPERENCE IT, cant go back the old databse was erased.

Its like when the company that went out of business did something like this and well went out of bussiness, (hint hint)

Need more support?