cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1. dual delete 2.?duplicates uploaded

1. dual delete 2.?duplicates uploaded

efb321
Explorer | Level 3

I clicked the box to automatically delete both the local & dropbox copies while working in a particular folder, not realizing that was not an option in the preferences section that I could reset back to choosing which file to delete. 

Is there a way to undo that?

I am getting data limit notifications & syncing interrupted messages all the time. If I do a large search in windows such as "*.xls", I found that I have usually two copies of each of the documents (identical date / time / size), listed in two different directories:

a.   [folder name a] (C:\users\myname\dropbox\subfolder)

b.   [folder name a] (C:\users\myname\dropbox\MyPC\Documents\subfolder)

Is everything being backed up twice, or is it just showing as twice?  Again, I've been through the settings a number of times and do not see a way to undo this.

thanks for your help!

efb321

7 Replies 7

Re: 1. dual delete 2.?duplicates uploaded

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @efb321, thanks for joining the Community!

It sounds like you enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application. 

If there are any deleted files, try recovering them from the Dropbox site.

Regarding the second matter, are these exact duplicates? Could you forward a screenshot showing this?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

efb321
Explorer | Level 3

1.   on the dual delete, I am not looking to restore any particular document, I would just like to restore the option to only delete from PC or dropbox (one copy)

2. I've got the screenshot pasted into word document. How can I upload it to you?

when I captured, it said it was saved to dropbox, but it is stuck in cue bc I am getting an out of space message.

Jay
Dropboxer
The prompt you're referring to lets you know about selective sync, which gives you the option to prevent entire folders from syncing to your machine.

It doesn't give you an option to either delete the file from the site, or from the machine, since this wouldn't be possible anyway.

Regarding the second query, you can attach a screenshot on the forum, provided it's saved an an image on your computer and not in a Word doc, by clicking the camera icon in the reply box.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

efb321
Explorer | Level 3

[Removed as per Community Guidelines]

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the image, I've removed it for your own privacy.

The duplication of files isn't related to Dropbox itself, so it could be a side-effect of the files saved by Word and having the computer backup enabled.

As to what that could be, I wouldn't be able to shed any light on this matter, since Dropbox itself doesn't duplicate files.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

efb321
Explorer | Level 3

I'm wondering if it might have to do with the fact I had originally gotten to dropbox from Quicken when I first started the service a couple years ago, and had a 2GB limit. This past year, Quicken gave us an additional 5GB for total of 7, and it felt like I ended up creating a 2nd account inadvertently. Is it possible that 2 different versions are uploading and that is why most of my documents are appearing in two different directories?

Jay
Dropboxer
It shouldn't be the issue, since you can't have two accounts on the same machine, unless one is a Dropbox Business team and the other a personal account.

The wouldn't be able to upload files in the same folder regardless, since the Dropbox app wouldn't allow it.

If you delete one of the duplicates, is the second file also deleted?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?