cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 item couldn’t be permanently deleted

Explorer | Level 3
Hello,

I am trying to permanently delete all the folders/files in my account so I can free up space to upload new content.  Unfortunately, whenever I have tried I receive the same message from DropBox:

Not permanently deleted
What can you do
Ask the owner to help permanently delete this

The problem is that I am the owner of the account and the one who uploaded the material so I'm not sure who it is I have to ask.  I am not sure what I need to do next.  Can anyone help me, please?

thanks in advance,
Kevin
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: 1 item couldn’t be permanently deleted

Dropboxer

Hi @Kevin__USER, if you're getting this message, then it means that folder is a shared folder, and you're not the owner of that shared folder.

Only the owner can permanently delete the data in shared folders, so you'll need to ask them to do so on your behalf.

You can find out who the owner is by restoring the shared folder from here and clicking the 'Share' button on the folder.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Dropboxer

Hi @Kevin__USER; welcome to our Community!

I'm not sure what could be causing this; could you try another browser and let me know if you get the same results? 

In case you do, I'd appreciate a screenshot so I can have a better look into this.

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

Thanks for helping.  I've been trying via Firefox but have also tried via Opera where I get the same message.  Here's a screengrab of the message I get.

thanks again - Kevin

Untitled.jpg

Dropboxer

Hi @Kevin__USER, if you're getting this message, then it means that folder is a shared folder, and you're not the owner of that shared folder.

Only the owner can permanently delete the data in shared folders, so you'll need to ask them to do so on your behalf.

You can find out who the owner is by restoring the shared folder from here and clicking the 'Share' button on the folder.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Jay.  I realize now, and for that I'm sorry, that I wasn't looking at the main folder that my boss created but the subfolders I did.  I should have caught that on my own.  I'm sorry for the hassle.

Dropboxer

No worries, @Kevin__USER, I'm glad to hear that you were able to find the files to permanently delete them.

Let me know if you require any further assistance. Enjoy the remainder of your week!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?