cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

39 files stuck syncing for weeks

39 files stuck syncing for weeks

yotimbo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Using the Mac version 88.4.172 of the Dropbox app on my 2015 MacBook Pro (with the latest Catalina macOS 10.15.2). Dropbox has been stuck for several weeks on 39 files syncing. I use Smart Sync for a number of folders.

These are the steps I’ve taken to try to fix this issue:

• Quit Dropbox and restarted.
  • Restarted the MacBook Pro.
  • Killed all Dropbox processes using Activity Monitor (force quit them). Then restarted the MacBook Pro, and restarted the Dropbox app.
  • Deleted and reinstalled the Dropbox app in the normal manner.
  • Deleted and reinstalled the Dropbox app using the Advance Reinstall directions at: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall
  • Checked for “bad files” — per Dropbox instructions — and got stuck using this link: https://www.dropbox.com/bad_files_check, which froze up on the Safari, Firefox and Opera browsers. This link is discussed in numerous discussions and seems to be something Dropbox has been “working on” fixing for more than a year.
  • Removed all aliases in the Dropbox folder and subfolders.
  • Checked for and removed all symlinks in the Dropbox folder and subfolders.
  • Checked for circular arrow “syncing” symbol in the Dropbox folder and subfolders; found none. All files and folders have the green checkmark symbol.
  • Looked for hidden files that might be causing issues, found none other than normal Mac “.DS_Store” files — in most folders — plus three Dropbox hidden files:   “.dropbox”, “.dropbox. cache”, and “Icon?”, in the Dropbox main folder.

What else can I do?

37 Replies 37

cfinnie
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Mine turned out to be a PowerPoint problem. Microsoft tech support installed a new one for me. If I understood correctly, since the file wouldn't open because of the PowerPoint issue, Dropbox kept trying to download and open it. Once I got the files to open with the new ppt app, the Dropbox problem went away.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Happy the third party support was able to troubleshoot this for you @cfinnie

If you need anything Dropbox related, we are always here for you. 

Have a nice day! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

rgbysgt
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've tried all the suggested solutions listed on this thread: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Files-folders/39-files-stuck-syncing-for-weeks/td-p/388751

None have improved the sync status. The number of files grow each day.

The issue does not appear to be isolated to any single machine as dozens of my team members that also share the same dropbox account are experiencing the same issue, although their file counts are all different. 

Some files will sync OK and others are stuck in a syncing status. 

I suspect a bad file, but the bad file check page suggested on the link above continually crashes in Chrome. I haven't tried other browsers as the author of that post called out similar experiences with Firefox and Safari. 

How we can get insight into which files are failing to sync and why? The log files are in a proprietary format which might give some insight.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @rgbysgt

I am merging your topic in this thread since you have checked on the steps here and the issue persists. 

Are the files stuck on the website and you cannot see them locally? :thinking:

Is there any big event that could explain the number of files syncing for all of you? What do you see in your events page

Also, please let me know if the number of files is decreasing and if you are using Smart Sync or selective sync. 

Thank you! 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

rgbysgt
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Fiona-

There are instances where we see a RED X on the file sync status and others where the arrows are present but they never sync. Furthermore, some files will sync successfully and show a green check. 

I don't see anything on the events screen that indicates there's a major event that would have triggered this. The number of files have been growing over the last several weeks and have not declined. When I had unlinked and relinked the account it was at ~230 files and then after that step it jumped to +2000 and is now +4000. Other members of my team have counts of 216, 9, & 44.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the additional info @rgbysgt

At this point, I think I should look into this more with you. I emailed you already. Let me know if you received my email at the email address associated with your account. 

Thanks! 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

psionic001
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

I have the same issue as the above user and had 5000+ stuck files.

I did the option-alt key on the acct preferences page then: Fix Permissions, and Fix Hardlinks.

That did nothing so I unlinked Dropbox and Re-linked and that reduced the stuck files to 103.

I have unlinked and relinked two more times and they are still there and stuck syncing. Can you please suggest what I could try next?

DropBox Version: 89.4.278 Current as at today.

Thanks

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @psionic001, thanks for adding your experience to this topic. 

Unlinking - Relinking is a good step to reset the configuration settings of the app. I do not suggest to unlink relink more than once though, because in this process, all your files will take time to re-index, so if you have many files this will increase your syncing time, without fully updating the files. 

If the desktop app get's stuck syncing a specific amount of files again, what you could do is check if a security system or antivirus could be checking these files and whitelist Dropbox on such security apps. 

Let me know if this helps and the version of your Operating system and I'll be happy to help you more with this. 

Thank you! 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

psionic001
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi Fiona.
I turned off my AVG antivirus and there were no firewalls turned in and I still have 103 files trying to sync.
Thank you

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me about this @psionic001

It's time for us to have an email communication about this. I have already emailed you to investigate more before I give you the next steps. I used the email address associated with your Community profile. 

Thank you! 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

smcewincarr New member | Level 2
    psionic001 Explorer | Level 4
    markhawkins Explorer | Level 3
    yotimbo Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?