cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5-15% of Photos & Videos not uploading to Dropxox using Sync (Missing Photos & Videos)

5-15% of Photos & Videos not uploading to Dropxox using Sync (Missing Photos & Videos)

New member | Level 2

Hi,

I have used dropbox Sync to backup photos & videos from my android mobile device for many years.  I thought that everything was getting backed up.  I recently need to free up space on a Samsung Note S20 and Google Files told me I could free up 46GB (>15k files) of space if I deleted "Mobile Content Transfer media".  Sounded good.  Wanted to make sure everything was backed up on DB before deleting and it seems like it was after random spot check of 2x videos.  On the 3rd video I found it didn't backup to DB.  This was serious concern because I had my first child in beginning of 2019 so the photos and videos are precious and I don't want to lose.

I started randomly looking for more photos and it seems some photos videos did not back up.  I can't check 15k files so I'm trying to figure out smartest way to do this.  If I manually "share" with DB the date/time naming convention of the uploaded file is different so I can't do this and then merge new files with existing files in DB.  This would ensure I have all missing files but created massive amounts of duplicates.

I really wanted to think that the auto-sync feature is reliable but I don't know how so many photos/videos can simply not sync.  Having to manually QC this process on a regular basis seems like a lot of work and not practical.

Every year I move all photos/videos synced with DB into a separate folder so that my "Camera Uploads" folder doesn't get so big it crashes programs trying to open it. 

Is there any sort of sync/upload log of uploaded files from Android mobile device that DB app maintains?  Was thinking that I could re-run sync function and anything not already uploaded (per checking against sync log) would upload to my DB?

If anyone knows how this could be done would be very helpful.

Thank you,

1 Reply 1

Re: 5-15% of Photos & Videos not uploading to Dropxox using Sync (Missing Photos & Videos)

Dropboxer

Hey, @bnicolas77, welcome to our community!

Sorry to hear about the missing uploads. I’m afraid that there isn’t an easy way to check for the files that didn’t upload.

To be honest, if I were in your position I would connect my phone to my computer, transfer all photos and videos over to make sure nothing is missed, and then upload through our desktop app. 

As to why this happened, have you noticed any similarities in the files that didn’t make it? Size, type, etc.? 

Let me know!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?