cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Couple of DB Operational Questions WRT File Management

A Couple of DB Operational Questions WRT File Management

DaveLeeNC
Helpful | Level 6

After initially deciding to resolve my DBox app issues with a system reinstall, I have instead ordered a replacement system (7 year old laptop) that will take a week or 2 to get here). So I am trying to decide 'what is the role of DBox in this new system' (I upgraded to DB Plus late last week). I need to understand what it does and how it does it and have a couple of questions. Keep in mind that I cannot run the DB app because it is not currently installed (and I cannot get the UI up even when I do install the DB app - probably because DB is finishing tasks that I never wanted done in the first place).

1) If I install the DB app on a Windows 10 system, and I do not enable sync or backup, I assume that DB will still keep my files online in sync with my local (Win10) DB folder. And further assume that DB WILL NOT move any folders or touch anything that isn't in my DB folder. Is that correct? But the 'mirroring' of my local DB folder with my cloud folder still happens even if sync and backup are off. Is that correct?

2) Assume that I installed the DB app on a Win10 system with a 'system SSD drive' and also a traditional hard drive, and I put my local DB store on the traditional drive. Then for some reason when I boot up one day all comes up just fine, but for some technical reason the hard drive did not mount or what ever. I mess around for a few minutes and get it going. So for a time DB is running but thinks that there is no DB folder. Would DB then start 'mirroring' that situation to my cloud files. Then when the local DB folder comes back online would DB start deleting those files on my local drive because they are no longer in my cloud DB folder(s)? And how does that answer change for sync/backup on/off, and possibly other settings that I cannot see because I cannot get the DB app to give me the UI.

I am trying to understand the risks of DB (something that I should have done earlier). Thanks.

dave

3 Replies 3

Re: A Couple of DB Operational Questions WRT File Management

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @DaveLeeNC, I'd be happy to help!

Syncing is one of our core features, where your online files are placed locally and any changes you make to content in your Dropbox folder is reflected on the website. 

This happens automatically while the desktop app is running, unless you pause or quit the desktop app. 

As for your computer folders (like Downloads), they shouldn't be added to your Dropbox folder unless you enable computer backup or choose to sync them at the beginning of the installation. 

As such, you are right, anything that is in your Dropbox folder will sync to your account, and anything outside of it won't.

If a hard drive that has the Dropbox folder on it fails to mount, the desktop app should give you an error notification that the Dropbox folder was not found. 

Remounting the drive may require you to restart the app but that shouldn't result in data loss as there was no content for the app to sync. 

You'll find more information about moving the Dropbox folder, here

Check it out and let me know if you have any other questions, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DaveLeeNC
Helpful | Level 6

@Lusil Thanks for the helpful response. For completeness... as I read your link I do believe that it says that putting your DB Folder anywhere other than where your OS resides is a bad idea. 

• Use the same hard drive: If you decide to move the folder, choose a location on the same hard drive as your operating system. Dropbox won't work correctly if the Dropbox folder becomes inaccessible, which can happen if it's located on an external drive that gets disconnected.

The info in the link is very helpful - thanks.

dave

Lusil
Dropboxer
Glad to have helped, @DaveLeeNC

If anything else comes up in the future, you know where to find us. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely weekend ahead of you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?