Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

A few folder called Dropbox-Back was created, what is it?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I use Dropbox on a Mac using Catalina. I have my Dropbox folder on an external hard drive. Today a mysterious second folder called "Dropbox-Back" appeared on that same drive. It looks to be an exact duplication of my Dropbox folder. This is doubling the amount of local space taken up by my files saved in Dropbox. Can anyone tell me why this folder was created, if it's okay to delete it and how to prevent it from being recreated? I did not change any of my setting on Dropbox recently. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox-Back folder?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

There are no "sync" icons on these folders, but they do have the "shared" icons on the ones that were shared originally. This is not an alias but a seperate folder with complete files in them. Upon going in to see about deleting one and its effect on my main DB folder, I now see that this is not a mirror copy of the current Dropbox folder. It appears to be one that is several months old. There are folders in it that are no longer in my current Dropbox folder, and there are folders missing from it that are in my current DB folder. Deleting folders from Dropbox-Back has no effect on my main DB files.

I can only conclude this was some kind of glich either on my Mac's part or via Dropbox that caused it to create a duplicate of an older DB folder. I will delete it and see if it appears again. Very odd. Thanks for your help. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @art4mad, thanks for posting on the Community.

Does this folder have any sync icons on it? Could it be an alias to the Dropbox folder itself?

Could you try deleting one file from within that folder, to see if the file is also deleted from the Dropbox folder?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

There are no "sync" icons on these folders, but they do have the "shared" icons on the ones that were shared originally. This is not an alias but a seperate folder with complete files in them. Upon going in to see about deleting one and its effect on my main DB folder, I now see that this is not a mirror copy of the current Dropbox folder. It appears to be one that is several months old. There are folders in it that are no longer in my current Dropbox folder, and there are folders missing from it that are in my current DB folder. Deleting folders from Dropbox-Back has no effect on my main DB files.

I can only conclude this was some kind of glich either on my Mac's part or via Dropbox that caused it to create a duplicate of an older DB folder. I will delete it and see if it appears again. Very odd. Thanks for your help. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update, it sounds like the OS might have created a backup of the folder for some reason. 

Dropbox would create a Dropbox (old) folder if you linked to another Dropbox account, in order to preserve the original files, so it doesn’t sound like that was the case as the name is different.

Let me know if you need any further assistance in future!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?