cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A file I was working on reverted back to a previous version. Why are none of the recent edits saved?

A file I was working on reverted back to a previous version. Why are none of the recent edits saved?

aurielr
New member | Level 2

hello,

I worked with a mac device on a microsoft word file, which is saved on my dropbox folder.

I've been constantly saving the file, but never closed it.

Today my computer was restarted and the file jumped to the version of two weeks ago. I checked both the version history of the file in the dropbox website, and the autorecovery folder of microsoft word files, and I can't find any version newer than two weeks ago.

Do you have any idea how to recover any version of the file?

Thank you!

1 Reply 1

Re: dropbox recovery problem

Rich
Super User II

@aurielr wrote:

I worked with a mac device on a microsoft word file, which is saved on my dropbox folder.

I've been constantly saving the file, but never closed it.

Dropbox can only sync a file when it can access the file. Since you never closed the Word file, Dropbox would never have been able to sync it because Word would have had a lock on that file while it was still open, and Dropbox wouldn't have been able to access it.

Unfortunately, you'll need to rely on whatever recovery options you have within Word or on your computer.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?