Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

A file doesn't want to sync

Helpful | Level 6

I have a file in my dropbox folder called "Phrases.pxp", that's simply not syncing. The file displays blue arrows icon for about 2 minutes, and then it becomes a red X. The size of 62.7 kb shouldn't be any trouble with my internet connection, and it's the third day this is happening now (so I've restarted plenty of times in-between already). Mousing over the tray icon says "Indexing Phrases.pxp..." constantly.

The file belongs to a program called PhraseExpress, which has an option of syncing the phrases via Dropbox. I've already tried quitting the program to see if it'd be blocking the sync, and even restarting the Dropbox application while PE was turned off, to see if it'd un-hang - but no success.

This is the second time this problem happened - the first time was about a month ago, and I solved it by renaming the file. It caused me some trouble with PE not expecting me to do that, and fortunately for me I've made a backup, so nothing was lost. This problem seems to exist on both of my devices, the PC and the laptop - both are unable to properly sync the file.

I've read and followed multiple guides on possible solutions, including all kinds of restarting and logging in and out, with no results. The thing I haven't tried is reinstalling, but since the issue is present on both computers, I'm starting to think it's some kind of an app error.

What should I do?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: A file doesn't want to sync

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information and listing all the troubleshooting you've already done @DevilXD - it helps a lot!

Truth be told, I wasn't able to reproduce this on my end as this file synced normally on my machines (tested on Mac and Windows just in case). This makes me think that the file's permissions is somehow corrupted so I'd like you to try the following steps:

1) If Dropbox is running:
- Click on the Dropbox icon in the system tray
- Choose "Exit"

2) Press the Windows Key + R (at the same time) then type "cmd" and press enter to open the Command prompt.

3) Copy and paste the following lines into the Command Prompt, one at a time, and press RETURN after each one. PLEASE make sure you copy and paste these commands(don't type them by hand), as getting them wrong could cause some harm. Also, you can only paste them by right clicking and selecting “Paste”. Don't worry if one of the instructions below fail or you can't find the folder in one of these locations. This is normal.

icacls "%HOMEPATH%\Dropbox" /grant "%USERNAME%":(F) /T

icacls "%APPDATA%\Dropbox" /grant "%USERNAME%":(F) /T

icacls "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Dropbox" /grant "%USERNAME%":(F) /T

Assuming that your Window's profile's name is indeed what's shown in your last response, you can replace the wildcard quoted above (i.e. "%USERNAME%") with "DevilXD" directly. 

If you have any questions before you do this, or if you see an error after running one of these commands, please let me know!

4) Restart Dropbox from Start -> All Program and also reboot your computer. 

If you're still getting the same results, you can also try performing a clean, advanced re-install. 

In any case, please keep me posted on your progress!  

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11
Highlighted

anonymous
Not applicable

We are maker of PhraseExpress. We can't help troubleshooting Dropbox sync issues but just want to add the information, that PhraseExpress phrase files are basically an AES encrypted ZIP archive that cannot be indexed.

Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

There are some incompatibilities between different Dropbox application versions. Unfortunately application data are not always updated correct. So, this could be reason. Try following:

• Unlink the application from your account.
  • Stop/quit the application.
  • Remove Dropbox directory in your application data directory (not your Dropbox directory containing files for sync!).
  • Start the application & link to your account.

Now, application specific data will be rebuild and let's hope everything will work again. 😉

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I've followed the instructions and deleted a folder from the following location:

C:\Users\DevilXD\AppData\Local\Dropbox

After starting the application again, same problem persists - the file doesn't want to sync.

When mousing over the icon, it says three things now:

Indexing "Phrases.pxp"...
Synchronizing 1 file...
Downloading "Phrases.pxp"...

The application version appears to be 84.4.170, if that helps.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I'm not sure if this is the case here, but if you're indeed seeing a red "X" on a file, it’s possible the cause is a reparse point. To correct this for an individual file, create a new file of the same file type, then copy the contents of the file that can't be synced to this new one and save it. 

I'm also wondering if you can add and/or access the mentioned file through our website directly so please keep me posted on your findings. 

Thanks so much @DevilXD

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Walter o/

In a grand attempt to fix this, I've just did the following:

1. Relinked PhraseExpress (PE) to point to an empty temporary phrases file on my desktop (just so it would let me unlink the Dropbox file)
2. Quit both, PE and Dropbox applications.
3. Made a backup, and deleted the phrases file completely from the Dropbox folder.
4. Deleted any remanants of the "half-synced" phrases file from Dropbox via the website - this should give me a completely "clean slate".
5. Deleted (once again) the Dropbox application data from under the below location, just in case it'd interfere:

C:\Users\DevilXD\AppData\Local\Dropbox

6. Launched Dropbox, logged in, relinked the previous machine, let it re-sync - after a short while, every file had a green checkmark and the Dropbox icon in the tray says that everything is up to date.
7. Copied over the phrases file from my desktop into the Dropbox folder, and it synced properly: 8. Launched PhraseExpress, pointed it back at the file inside Dropbox via the "Phrase file in cloud sync folders" option as it was before.
9. Now, the important part - PhraseExpress normally saves the phrases file when one closes the main window, or chooses the "Save" option from the menu. One has to do some changes for the save to trigger, so I just added a test phrase with some random content, and hit "Save".
10. The result is that I'm back to square one - the file shows the blue arrows that it's syncing, and never finishes it. After about 60 seconds, it displays a red X:

I believe this is some weird interraction between the two applications, and I'm really not sure where is the problem. Quitting PE and restarting Dropbox doesn't seem to fix the issue, the only version of the file accessible from the website is the one from before it breaks - here it is in case you'd want to redo these repro-steps locally: <removed>

I'm on Windows 7 if this matters.
PhraseExpress version is 14.0.164f
Dropbox version is 84.4.170

I'd really appreciate some help regarding this issue. Thank you.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information and listing all the troubleshooting you've already done @DevilXD - it helps a lot!

Truth be told, I wasn't able to reproduce this on my end as this file synced normally on my machines (tested on Mac and Windows just in case). This makes me think that the file's permissions is somehow corrupted so I'd like you to try the following steps:

1) If Dropbox is running:
- Click on the Dropbox icon in the system tray
- Choose "Exit"

2) Press the Windows Key + R (at the same time) then type "cmd" and press enter to open the Command prompt.

3) Copy and paste the following lines into the Command Prompt, one at a time, and press RETURN after each one. PLEASE make sure you copy and paste these commands(don't type them by hand), as getting them wrong could cause some harm. Also, you can only paste them by right clicking and selecting “Paste”. Don't worry if one of the instructions below fail or you can't find the folder in one of these locations. This is normal.

icacls "%HOMEPATH%\Dropbox" /grant "%USERNAME%":(F) /T

icacls "%APPDATA%\Dropbox" /grant "%USERNAME%":(F) /T

icacls "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Dropbox" /grant "%USERNAME%":(F) /T

Assuming that your Window's profile's name is indeed what's shown in your last response, you can replace the wildcard quoted above (i.e. "%USERNAME%") with "DevilXD" directly. 

If you have any questions before you do this, or if you see an error after running one of these commands, please let me know!

4) Restart Dropbox from Start -> All Program and also reboot your computer. 

If you're still getting the same results, you can also try performing a clean, advanced re-install. 

In any case, please keep me posted on your progress!  

Walter

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi again @Walter o/

So, I've tried the three commands with the following steps and results:

1. Turned Dropbox off, ran the commands:
    • 1st: 638 files processed successfully, 0 failed
    • 2nd: 0 successful, 1 failed:

C:\Users\DevilXD\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\*: Access Denied.

Did some fiddling around with the access control settings to unlock that 'Programs' folder, and re-ran the 2nd command to get "0 files processed successfully, 0 failed", so I guess that's alright now?
    • 3rd: 47 successful, 0 failed
2. Restarted the PC
3. After restart, launched Dropbox - it synced the phrases file
4. Opened PhraseExpress and deleted the "Test" phrase (to trigger a save)
5. The file showed the blue arrows, and then the red X like before
6. I've opened cmd again, and without turning off Dropbox, I tried the first command (the one with HOMEPATH), and about 3 seconds after running it, Dropbox synced properly again.
7. I was then stuck in a loop of sorts, where editing phrases and saving triggers the bug, while running the command with HOMEPATH in it fixes it.
8. I've inspected the access control settings on the "broken" file, and they appeared as non-existing / empty, with the following message:

No permissions have been assigned to this object.

Running "icacls "%HOMEPATH%\Dropbox\Phrases.pxp" confirms that the file has no ownership, and that's probably why Dropbox refuses to sync it. Running the HOMEPATH command assigns the ownership to me, and the file syncs properly.

In conclusion - it looks like it's an issue with PhraseExpress resetting the ownership of the file on save for some reason. I guess I'll file a bug report for them, so they can look into the issue further. At least I now know it's not something with my Dropbox
I should be able to manage this from here.

Thank you so much for the help @Walter ❤️

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks so much for getting back to me @DevilXD; I'm glad you managed to resolve this in the end and I appreciate you took the time to list the steps you followed to tackle this hiccup - awesome work with your tests and troubleshooting steps too!

If any question comes up in the future, don't hesitate to give us a shout; we're always happy to help!

Cheers 

Walter

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Quick follow up: I'd suggest removing the shared link from your previous post, to avoid bandwidth or security issues, by clicking on the ellipsis (...) button on the top of your reply and then clicking on the 'Edit Reply' button.

If you'd like me to remove it for you, please let me know. 

Oh, and welcome to our Community too @DevilXD 

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?