cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bug report on timezone

Highlighted

A file was modified in my account, but it shows a future time. Why is that?

Explorer | Level 4

When I logged into my account today I was greeted by a notification......from the future!

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 10.20.38 AM.png

I live in New Zealand, the person who made the edit is in New Zealand, and it's 10am today here... 

So I went and checked my settings in my laptop (the timezone is automatically set)

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 10.31.24 AM.png

And I went to my settings in Dropbox online and my timezone is automatically set as well: 

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 10.31.47 AM.png

I tried turning it off and manually choosing Auckland from the list and it didn't change anything. 

So if it says this file was last modified "TODAY at 5:40pm" and it's only 10am, I wonder what voodoo is actually going on here.  

Either way, there's a bug that needs to be fixed  

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Re: I have an issue with the displayed date and time in an Excel file. Any ideas?

Explorer | Level 4

How do I submit a bug report? 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I'm reporting a bug on my bug report lol

If you look above you'll see a weird smiley face in the middle of some numbers where I'm telling the time....see if you can find it in the screenshot below:

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 10.36.16 AM.png

Funny  

Here's what it looks like in the editor: 

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 10.36.06 AM.png

It's interesting that Dropbox doesn't have a "submit a bug" or "feedback" option anywhere on the site. 

I guess that's because they think they don't have any bugs.  

Is it coincidence that I just found two within a few minutes of eachother?  They'd probably have less bugs if they allowed people to report them easier than having to make a community post like this one lol.  Oh well.  Laughs. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @bmg2, thanks for posting!

It is a rather strange thing you're seeing there. Can you let me know if you see the same modified time when you try the following?

• Clear your browser cache and check again
  • Open Dropbox in an incognito/private browsing window
  • Use another web browser

Also, for the emoji that you saw in your post, this is actually expected with the character combination that you used. It's similar to how when your type ": )" without the space, it will render the smiley emoji .

The combinations of the 0 (as the halo), :, and 3 makes this smiley angel emoji.

Let me know what you find with the steps above!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
I tried those things as well. I was using chrome and safari and incognito for chrome.

No reason for clearing the cache as I did a Control +f5 to refresh the page and pull directly from the server. I knew that it would be hard to replicate the bug so I captured everything right away and was as detailed and as thorough as I knew a developer would expect any other suggestions? Seems you guys have a timezone bug. Those are the worst. Good luck!
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
As for your explanation of the halo smiley, I get it... “code is performing as intended” but maybe just maybe you could make your code a bit smarter to realize when someone is typing in time and not allow it to do the smileys. But hey it’s your thing. No shade thrown. Don’t shoot the messenger haha
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @bmg2, thanks for getting back to us and for the feedback regarding the smiley face!

As for your main concern, could you let us know if you've noticed the wrong timezone being applied only on one file or if it happens to all the files in that shared folder?

Keep us posted!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
The time is correct it’s just the word “today” that was incorrect in the “modified” column.
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Have you seen it occur again since then, by any chance?

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Has your Dev team pushed a fix for this? It’s clearly a bug and I’m just letting you know. If I see it again I’ll be sure to tell you. For now I don’t really care and just wanted y’all to know you have a bug. If you decide not to fix it that’s not my problem lol.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?