cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A file we're sharing comes up as blocked when I try to open it. What can I do?

A file we're sharing comes up as blocked when I try to open it. What can I do?

Explorer | Level 4

Hi everyone,

I am doing a simple file share between two free accounts.  A few times we have had a problem were the other guy will quit the application he's using (and therefore stop editing the file), but on my side, I can't open the file. It comes up with a Warning which says, "The file is blocked from changes by <his PC (date)>. Do you want to open a copy of this file?"

Since he closed the file, how can we force Dropbox to release it, so I can open it?

Is there a good way to prevent this? We are both using the Dropbox desktop app on Win10.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: A file we're sharing comes up as blocked when I try to open it. What can I do?

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @Newtham

You are right, it can cause unexpected errors such as the ones you describe, but I would recommend checking with the user in question to check what they are seeing on their end. 

Let me know of any updates, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Re: A file we're sharing comes up as blocked when I try to open it. What can I do?

Dropboxer

Hi @Newtham, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community. 

Just to make sure that we cover as much initial troubleshooting, since you mention that the user closed the third party app that they used to apply those edits, could it be that the file is still syncing in their Dropbox folder when you try to open it from your end?

Let me know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Lusil,

Thanks for the reply!  I am not sure whether that is happening or not, but it could be.

So, if he were to save, quit, and then shut down before the file was completely synced to Dropbox, could that cause this?

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @Newtham

You are right, it can cause unexpected errors such as the ones you describe, but I would recommend checking with the user in question to check what they are seeing on their end. 

Let me know of any updates, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Lusil,

He brought me his laptop today. I opened the file, saved it, and waited for Dropbox to sync. This fixed it! I think he was just shutting down the computer too quickly.

Thanks for your help!

Dropboxer

Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your concern in the end, @Newtham!

If anything else comes up in the future, don't hesitate to give us another nudge. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a wonderful day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?