cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A folder has disappeared from my account

A folder has disappeared from my account

Vinicius Joroski
Explorer | Level 3

An entire folder has disappeared. I have searched my PC, the two laptops that are connected plus my iphone and Dropbox online and none of them have it, even in the rubbish bins. It is simply disappeared of the face of the earth.

Dropbox was my backup in case of something like this.

The folder even appears in the PC files, but a message appears saying that the folder cannot be accessed. The file is not in the "Deleted files"

5 Replies 5

Re: Folder disappear

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Vinicius Joroski, thanks for posting today.

I understand your concern on the missing folder. Do you know if it was a shared folder by any chance?

Do you see the folder deletion, or any events related to that folder, on this page?

This will help me assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Vinicius Joroski
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for aswering, but no. There is an event saying I removed my on access to the folder, but I am the only person how have access to it AND I created it. 

Jay
Dropboxer

Thanks for the info. With that event wording, this means that it was a shared folder, and that you were removed from it.

If that's the case, and the folder isn't on your account, then the shared folder was actually owned by another user, who removed you from the folder, so you won't have access to that data or the option to recover the files.

You'll need to check your emails (since there should be one from Dropbox) to see who invited you to the folder, and then contact them directly to see if they can re-invite you to the folder.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Vinicius Joroski
Explorer | Level 3

Jay, thank you for aswering,

I am trying to solve this problem with thechnical suport with emails, but they told me the same think.

Nobody except me have access to the entire file, there is no sense removing my own access, and i tryed to restore it (1st time I was loking the files) and messages of error appeared. When I tryed to access my own links to access any file, the message I receive is "The file/folder was deleted" , and these folders/files WAS appearing in my "deleted files zone" and the just disappear!

Jay
Dropboxer

If you were to remove access to a folder that you own, you would get at least two events, like so:

You removed your access to the shared folder testing1

You added the folder testing1

After that, you would have additions for any subfolders and files in that unshared folder. If you don't see the folder being added to your account immediately after, then you were not the owner of the shared folder, which means you won't be able to restore it on your account.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Vinicius Joroski Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?