cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A large chunk of files have gone missing from my Dropbox and my computer does not have a backup

A large chunk of files have gone missing from my Dropbox and my computer does not have a backup

Explorer | Level 4

Is there any chance that dropbox servers would have a backup of these files so they could be recovered? its a large portion of work related files that are quite important, and I have no clue as to why they have suddenly gone missing? unfortunately I have already tried everything I know in terms of self-recovery off my PC but to no help. The only other thing I can think of would be dropbox having a backup as that is where my files where saved, the files should be 3 months old at this point.

6 Replies 6

Re: A large chunk of files have gone missing from my Dropbox and my computer does not have a backup

New member | Level 2
Have similar issue, bumping to follow

Re: A large chunk of files have gone missing from my Dropbox and my computer does not have a backup

Dropboxer

Hey there peeps, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Have you checked if the files are located, and can be restored, with these steps from your account online?

If you can't locate the files there, please check what actions you find related to them in your Events page here.

Also, just to clarify, @Sylveriana has is been 3 months since the files went missing, or since they were created perhaps?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Hi and thanks for the response
so I checked through both my deleted files and file history and couldnt find anything, I know however that the files were located in my dropbox as "remnents" from them still exist within indesign, and there the pathway location shows they should be saved to the dropbox folder. The files are 3 months old in terms of thats when i last accessed them/worked in them. It was only recently that I discovered the folder to be missing, so exactly when in that period they were removed im not sure.

many files disappeared suddenly from DropBox...

New member | Level 2

Dear Community,

yesterday all was fine with my dropbox account... but today 18/12/2020 I accessed from THE SAME PC... who is synchronized online and on local Hard Drive and 50% of the folders and files are not there anymore !

I had no back up and I'm really in trouble since even locally it seems files have disappared... I'm the only one with such a BIG PROBLEM ?

thank you very much for your support

Giovanni

New member | Level 2

Same thing for me... This should be a massive BUG... I need to recover all of them!

Dropboxer

Apologies for the tardy response here @Sylveriana!

To see if there is anything that our team can help with, in terms of assisting with restoring the files, it would be best to continue looking into this with our team.

I was able to locate the ticket you already have open and see that you're looking into this already, so I've just passed along your comments from here too. 

Have you checked the steps I mentioned above @giovannigrillo, to see if you can restore the files that way? What actions do you see for these files in your events page?

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?