cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A method to backup your Dropbox to an external hard drive

A method to backup your Dropbox to an external hard drive

Seecol
Explorer | Level 3

This is how I have successfully done this. Please note caution is_required because it is not recommended to use an external hard drive with Dropbox

First create a separate user account on the computer you are using. Make sure to give it administrative privileges.
Mount an external drive, be sure it is big enough, on the computer and ensure it has been given a drive letter.
Create a folder on the drive (any name, I use Home)
Install Dropbox and specify location as <drive letter>/Home.
If you only want specific folders backed up on the hard drive use Selective sync.

Let Dropbox do its work - it may take some time.
When done delete the temporary user account.

1 Reply 1

Re: A method to backup your Dropbox to an external hard drive

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Seecol, thanks for messaging the Community!

This might help other users who are interested in backing up their Dropbox folder to another drive.

One thing I'd like to point out, the login on the Dropbox desktop application in the new profile would be considered a separate device, so I'd first unlink the account from the profile first, before deleting it completely.

This is to prevent the account, if it's on a Basic plan, reaching the 3 device limit.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?