cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AH! PLEASE HELP! Cannot get my Documents, Desktop, and Downloads folders to work on my computer!

Highlighted

AH! PLEASE HELP! Cannot get my Documents, Desktop, and Downloads folders to work on my computer!

Explorer | Level 4

Someone please help me! 

I got a new job, and it requires me to share and upload documents using Dropbox. I downloaded the app onto my Macbook thinking it would be an easy program to use with my computer. I selected to back up and sync the three main folders Documents, Desktop, and Downloads. 

Well, we all know 2Gs of space isn't much, and within the hour the ENTIRE app became non-functional. Cannot do anything with it, as it backed up my computer meaning I used up all the space. I thought maybe I would just pay for more space but the fees for this app are a bit high tbh! I know nothing in life is free, but $300 a year seems like a bit much just to file share.

So, I decided to try to free up some Dropbox space by deleting files - bad idea, ended up deleting some off my comp too accidentally because apparently I am a n00b. Then, I panicked and tried to move Dropbox the app into the Trash as per the Uninstall instructions, not realizing I was supposed to log out first from the app. Anyways, the app now will not open on my computer at all, it says I moved it from its original location of Users/myname .. I have moved it back since but it isn't connecting, and I just now noticed today that I cannot access ANY of my documents, desktop, or downloads. PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME GET THIS BACK. But I can access it all on my online dropbox. 

This is one of the most frustrating experiences I have had with any tech in my life and the fact that there is no number to call unless you pay for premium just feels cheap and tricky. Same with the way they encourage you upon installing the app to back up your whole computer knowing darn well that most people have more than 2Gs in their files. I am not super tech savvy and would very much appreciate as much support as I can get with this. Thank you in advance!  

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: AH! PLEASE HELP! Cannot get my Documents, Desktop, and Downloads folders to work on my computer!

Dropboxer

Hey there @Monty_28; thanks for joining our Community and sharing your thoughts on this. 

Can you please let me know if any of the information in the relevant Help Center article helps? 

If you're still getting an error somewhere along the process of disabling the computer backup feature and/r or uninstalling our desktop app from your computer, please send me a screenshot so that I can have a visual too. 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: AH! PLEASE HELP! Cannot get my Documents, Desktop, and Downloads folders to work on my computer!

Collaborator | Level 8

Monty

We feel your pain.. many of us feel your pain...

check here for more examples - it's a known issue that isn't being dealt with.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/How-can-I-turn-off-the-automatic-computer-back...

the more complaints they might just do something about it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you so much for this reply, I read your discussion post too and feel the pain. 

Processes I need to accomplish for this new job that used to be simple now take me 3 or more extra steps because I don't have access to my documents, downloads, or desktop on my mac anymore. I feel like my computer was violated by dropbox. 

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

It's funny that my comments get deleted by the moderators when I ask them to stop referring to the option as "Backup".

When I ask them to stop saying to CUSTOMERS "you must have chosen to use our backup feature please follow this guide"

It's not a backup.. everyone else here agrees.. just the moderators and dropbox believe it's a backup.

But when pulled up on this directly, they'd rather delete the comment, stick their head in the sand and pretend it's a backup.

Note to Moderators: If hundreds of customers are complaining about a product, shouldn't you listen to the complaints rather than delete the comments and blame the user for using a product that is not fit for purpose?

Better yet - Walter.... as a Dropboxer and Moderator here... please can you explain to me WHERE my files go when I select Yes to the backup option in Dropbox. What happens with my files and folders on my desktop???

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?