cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abort a backup?

Abort a backup?

New member | Level 2

This morning dropbox innocently asked me if i wanted to back up my desktop, docs, and downloads.  I said 'yes' because I wanted to try it.  Now it is saying it will take over 2 days to backup!  I want to abort this but I can only pause it apparently.  Are there any ways to stop the process.  It is making me very uncomfortable.  A lot of the dropbox jargon is not clear and it has me concerned that I could lose files on my local drive.

3 Replies 3

Re: Abort a backup?

Dropboxer

Hi @TonyVm; welcome to our Community and thanks for using Dropbox!

At this point, to avoid any mishaps, I'd suggest letting the desktop app sync the changes you applied until it shows 'Up to date' and then disable the computer backup feature using these steps

Let me know how you get on, Tony. 

PS: You can speed up the syncing process by changing your bandwidth settings through the app's preferences if needed. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Thanks for your answer.  I'll do what you say, but it is quite a price to pay for just clicking something before i've had my morning coffee & thought it all through!  

Honestly I am really thrown by seeing all the blue & green check marks next to files on my local HD.  If i disable the computer backup of my documents will all of those disappear?  I just want to do selective backups of my important files as I did before.

Dropboxer

Hi again, Tony. Happy Friday!

If you choose to disable the feature, you'll get to choose between two options, one of them being "Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac" and the other one would be "Leave content in Dropbox". 

Regarding your last query, are you perhaps referring to our selective sync feature or did you have something else in mind? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?