cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About syncing big files.

About syncing big files.

GDZ-Coding
Explorer | Level 4

Hi All, 

I had a huge amount of files, over 3600 files, to sync. After waiting for a long time now I have 96 files left to upload. It seems these 96 files are all huge files, for instance, I have a 21GB file. Due to my bad broadband width, I usually pause syncing during the daytime and resume before I go to bed. I wondering what exactly happens in the background when I pause and resume. Let's say, dropbox uploaded 10GB of a 21GB file then I paused and resumed sync. Will it start uploading the whole 21GB file again or just continue the previous uploading and upload the rest portion of the file. Because I am stack with these 96 files. 

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: About syncing big files.

Mark
Super User II

Hi @GDZ-Coding 

When you restart syncing it will continue to upload the file from the last 4mb chunk that it uploaded. So, in your example, it would remember that it was at 10gb and just restart from there. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: About syncing big files.

Mark
Super User II

Hi @GDZ-Coding 

When you restart syncing it will continue to upload the file from the last 4mb chunk that it uploaded. So, in your example, it would remember that it was at 10gb and just restart from there. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?