cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Dropbox from work (without using the Dropbox client)

Access Dropbox from work (without using the Dropbox client)

jjendersby
Explorer | Level 4

My employer won't let us install the Dropbox client at work for various (perfectly good) reasons, but I sometimes need to access my files on Dropbox. The preferred solution at work is to use Webdrive, which lets you map Dropbox as if it were a networked folder. It works, but it's incredibly slow. I know it's this app, not our network, because access to Dropbox via a web browser is much quicker. So, I use the web browser, but it doesn't let me open files from within apps, nor save from an app (like Word, Acrobat or PowerPoint) directly to my Dropbox folder; I have to download the file, save locally, edit and then remember to upload it again.

Does anyone know if there's an alternative solution? Doesn't have to be free, as long as it works. Thanks, Jim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Access Dropbox from work (without using the Dropbox client)

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey there, @jjendersby

In general, to access your account, you’d have to either access it through the website or the desktop app

However, I’d recommend checking out the Dropbox app for Windows 10 in S mode, which doesn’t actively store content on your computer. Instead, it allows you to access your files and folders that are stored on your Dropbox account when you’re connected to the internet, or if you chose to save them to your device for offline access. 

I hope this helps!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey there, @jjendersby

In general, to access your account, you’d have to either access it through the website or the desktop app

However, I’d recommend checking out the Dropbox app for Windows 10 in S mode, which doesn’t actively store content on your computer. Instead, it allows you to access your files and folders that are stored on your Dropbox account when you’re connected to the internet, or if you chose to save them to your device for offline access. 

I hope this helps!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

jjendersby
Explorer | Level 4

Many thanks. Sadly it doesn't help as we're still on Windows 7, but thanks for trying.

Lusil
Dropboxer

:disappointed_relieved: Sorry to hear that it doesn’t help. If you have any other questions in the future though, don’t hesitate to give us a shout! In the meantime, have a wonderful weekend ahead. :rainbow:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?