cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Access to "Folder" is limited

Access to "Folder" is limited

Joe F
Helpful | Level 6

In the last day or so, I have started to get this error message whenever I try and move a local file:

"Access to "Folder" is imited

We'll keep access to file.tmp the same. Add people to FOLDER too if you want them to have access to anything else in it. How to Manage acess."

Dropbox box then gives me a option to Cancel or Contimue moving. This happens with all locally shared files. I am not sure why all of a sudden this message has started poping up. I have double checked to make the folder is properly shared with me and it is. My boss siad that he has made no changes to the account, so there isn't an issue there. If anyone has ideas on how to fix this, it would be greatly aprreciated!

43 Replies 43

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Joe F, thanks for checking in. 

It sounds like you're navigating through a folder that's in a team folder, but has restricted access.  

Since you mention that no permissions were changed, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of the message you get, just to have a better visual of it?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Joe F
Helpful | Level 6

Lusil

Here is a screen shot of the error message I get. I can also comfirm that this is happening on my work computer and my home computer. This is happening in all forlders in my team folder. FYI, only me and my boss are using this account, and only he has admin rights. He has not made any changes to the account in the last 6 months. Everything in the account seems to show that I have the ability to edit and move files. So I am not sure what has gone wrong here, lol. Thanks for your help!

Drop Drop Screenshot 2020-10-01.pngTeam Folder.pngDrop Box Production Team.png

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshots @Joe F!

Out of curiosity, in the error message that you showed it mentioned a specific file name. Is this file perhaps shared with another person apart from yourself and your boss?

Within a team folder, the sharing permissions can be changed very particularly. Access can be given or restricted at subfolder levels or even file level in some cases.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Joe F
Helpful | Level 6

Daphne,

No this file has not been shared with anyone else and this is happening in the entire team folder for every file. I did notice that I only get this warming when moving a file, not when copying, deleting, or creating a new file. Thats what makes it strange. You would think if my access was really restricted, I would not be able to delete a file with getting a warning. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Joe F, are you able to move the files via the Dropbox site, and not file explorer, directly into the appropriate folders?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Joe F
Helpful | Level 6

Hey Jay

Yes I can move files on via the Drop Box website without get the Access Limited error. And just to be clear, I can still  move files, I just keep the annoying warming dialog box and have to click Continue Moving. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

We appreciate the feedback, as this is a team folder, this would be a security feature to ensure that you're aware that you're moving files to and from the folder itself, which could affect other members.

If you wish, you can suggest and idea to remove this prompt, for others to vote on, so the dev team can look into this in future!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Joe F
Helpful | Level 6

Jay,

So you are telling me this dialog box is a security feature!?? Was this just implemented? Because it only starting happening last week. And why doesnt my boss get this warning message? And why don't I get this message when I move files via the website, only Windows Exporer? And why don't I get a warning message when I delete a file? Certainly that would affect other users. This doesn't make sense. Can you tell me the history of when this security feature was implemented? ie the date and build?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

For deleting files there is a prompt, but you get an option to not show that message again, which is probably why you're not seeing it currently.

The security feature has been around for some time, so we don't have a date for this change. Installing an older version of the Dropbox desktop application wouldn't help here since it would update to the newest version.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?