cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Access to "Folder" is limited

Access to "Folder" is limited

Joe F
Helpful | Level 6

In the last day or so, I have started to get this error message whenever I try and move a local file:

"Access to "Folder" is imited

We'll keep access to file.tmp the same. Add people to FOLDER too if you want them to have access to anything else in it. How to Manage acess."

Dropbox box then gives me a option to Cancel or Contimue moving. This happens with all locally shared files. I am not sure why all of a sudden this message has started poping up. I have double checked to make the folder is properly shared with me and it is. My boss siad that he has made no changes to the account, so there isn't an issue there. If anyone has ideas on how to fix this, it would be greatly aprreciated!

43 Replies 43

Joe F
Helpful | Level 6

Wooohooo! Looks like the issue has been solved! Thanks to Dropbox and everyone in this thread that spoke up in helping to get this resolved! Your efforts are greatly apriacated! :grinning:

alexkeaton
Explorer | Level 4

I just noticed this prompt today for the first time while doing the same workflow of moving files from the same folder A to the same folder B that I have been doing for over a year.  Hundreds of files every month.

Was this issue actually resolved for people so you never see the prompt again?  Or was it resolved because Dropbox added the "don't ask me this again" checkbox?  And it's unclear whether checking that will prevent the dialog from ever popping up again or if it's just referring to the current batch of files being moved at that time.

Nothing has changed regarding permissions.  I'm moving files from a personal Dropbox folder to a shared Dropbox folder, which I obviously already have sufficient read/write privileges to access.

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 2.24.16 PM.jpg

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

You can check the "don't ask me again" box before choosing to continue, which should disable the prompt from showing again in general, not just for those specific files, @alexkeaton.

If you have any trouble with this, let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

user43
Explorer | Level 4

I just started to receive this same message today, also having used dropbox for years with this same folder configuration and never received the message before. While there is a checkbox to have the warning not happen anymore, I'm concerned because the warning states Dropbox will keep access to the file I'm moving "the same". This is ambiguous - the same as it was before, or the same as the folder it's being moved in to? I hope that if I am moving a file into a Team Folder that its privileges will be consistent with the Team Folder's settings, which has always been the expected behavior before. Is this still the case, or will it be retaining its previous privileges as the warning suggests? If the latter, that's a huge problem for security. Please let me know ASAP - thanks!

Need more support?