cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to "Folder" is limited

Access to "Folder" is limited

Joe F
Helpful | Level 6

In the last day or so, I have started to get this error message whenever I try and move a local file:

"Access to "Folder" is imited

We'll keep access to file.tmp the same. Add people to FOLDER too if you want them to have access to anything else in it. How to Manage acess."

Dropbox box then gives me a option to Cancel or Contimue moving. This happens with all locally shared files. I am not sure why all of a sudden this message has started poping up. I have double checked to make the folder is properly shared with me and it is. My boss siad that he has made no changes to the account, so there isn't an issue there. If anyone has ideas on how to fix this, it would be greatly aprreciated!

43 Replies 43

Stevo11811
Helpful | Level 5

Same here,

Working with Dropbox support, started last week, our users get this popup for any file modification/creation/move.

Permissions for teams folder are basic with no limited access, super annoying.

Kashuey
Helpful | Level 6

This just started for us as well. We are using dropbox business advanced.  This is affecting our productivity and just started recently.  Please allow us to remove this message.

B Lange
Helpful | Level 5

We also have same issue.  Correspondence with DropBox help is generic explanation of what happens when you move files.  Help also recommended using website to move files.  Poor answer and refused to recognize that this is a new issue.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey everyone, thanks for all your reports. 

This security feature started becoming available with the updates to the desktop app near the end of September, which is why you all are noticing it now.

We do appreciate the time you've taken to share your feedback with us and, if you have any other thoughts on, just give us another nudge. 

Thanks again!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

paulterack
Explorer | Level 4

NUDGE:  DISABLE the prompt!  If we have to click to "continue" every single time we move a file or folder, is becoming too slow and reducing workflow!

PLease remove the prompt or provide a checkbox to "don't remind me again" or something like that. this is a REAL PROBLEM!!!

Joe F
Helpful | Level 6

Lusil,

I think our thoughts are pretty clear on this new security feature. We don't like it. It interfears with our work flow. So please remove it. 

Megabyte3000
Helpful | Level 5

Lusil this is an absolutely outrageous response. Dressing up a bug as a feature? Is that really what you are resorting to here?

Can you please take this seriously and get this bugged warning removed, or at least let us toggle it off on the tenant if you want to keep pretending it is a useful feature.

I have users who are having to click through this warning literally over 100 times per day.

Do you represent Dropbox when you say this is ok and normal? Or have you gone rogue and you are just trying to manage your KPI's?

zherbert
Helpful | Level 5

Seriously, it's become such an issue, we are considering switching to google drive or one drive so we can get our jobs done.  KEEP THE TICKET OPEN LUSIL!!!!

Kashuey
Helpful | Level 6

Dropbox, I find your response tone deaf.  Clearly there is a usibility problem with this "new feature".  My users are losing valuable time navigating past this dialog box.  We generate 100s of files programatically in the dropbox folder at a time.  The work around is to turn Dropbox off.  Again we are paying for Dropbox Business Advanced and it is unuseable.  If this is not fixed we will be forced to look for another solution.

netsquire
Helpful | Level 6

Same problem starting recently in macOS. Thanks for starting this thread Joe F. I contacted Dropbox and was told that it's a feature and that I can tell the Finder to not warn me anymore. However, there's no option to turn off future warnings. I'm awaiting a response but this was clearly recently added and the support team didn't get the memo.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

user43 Explorer | Level 4
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    alexkeaton Explorer | Level 4
    Joe F Helpful | Level 6
    JKatCG Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?