cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to shared files in dropbox basic

Access to shared files in dropbox basic

Explorer | Level 4

Invited 3 users with dropbox basic on their computers to share and edit a protected excel file. They can access the file in dropbox.com and form fill, but they cannot enter the password to remove protection. Do they need to download the file to their computers to unlock the excel file? Does each person need to download the file into dropbox on their computer and then share it back to me in order to share this file between our computers?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Access to shared files in dropbox basic

Dropboxer

If they all have their own Dropbox Basic plans, you can share a folder to those accounts, place the Excel file in that folder, and then install the Dropbox desktop application.

The files will then sync to their machines, and the can open it with Excel, use the password, and edit the files.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Dropboxer

Hi @Skowie, thanks for posting on the Community!

Password-protected files can't be accessed via the Dropbox site, so you'd need to use the Excel app on the machine itself to open the file and edit it from there directly.

If the file is in a shared folder, which is added to their Dropbox accounts, then they can edit the file directly from their desktop and save changes, which will sync back with the site.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you. We can't figure out what we are doing wrong as we can't get the files to the desktop. Do I understand from your response that we must share a FOLDER and not individual files in order to get them to sync at the desktop?

Dropboxer

If they all have their own Dropbox Basic plans, you can share a folder to those accounts, place the Excel file in that folder, and then install the Dropbox desktop application.

The files will then sync to their machines, and the can open it with Excel, use the password, and edit the files.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Re: Access to shared files in dropbox

New member | Level 2

In Dropbox I have had multiple files that have got a gray X not allowing me access to the files.  Is that common?  Does that need to be set up by another party?  What causes that?

Re: Access to shared files in dropbox

Dropboxer

Hi @TB12345, is the grey X visible on the files in the Dropbox folder? What happens if you attempt to open the files?

Keep me posted!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?