cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access violation error on xsl table.

Highlighted

Access violation error on xsl table.

Helpful | Level 6

From today I start to have this issue: I open XLS table via shortcut, edit it and close, until today and for many years it works without problem. From today I cannot do that got error about sharing violation and Dropbox save new file with some kind of generic name like 5250435 without extension. 

I did not change anything  ,and did not make any changes to my computer

But if I stop sync edit file, save then syncing is ok and new version of file is uploaded.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox cannot save file due to sharing violation

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi all,

Thanks for the reports and to those who downloaded some builds for testing.  We appreciate your help.

We've put in a fix into our most recent stable build which should fix these issues.  Please let us know if you find otherwise.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-87-4-138/td-p/384846

Thanks!

--J

View solution in original post

75 Replies 75
Highlighted

Re: Access violation error on xsl table.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for joining and for posting about this @pepi1!

What you are describing is indeed very interesting.  Dropbox cannot create new files. I really want to investigate how this is happening with your help. I understand you are getting the error "Access violation" when you open your XLS table via shortcut. 

It would be very helpful for me to have..camera with flash

• A screenshot of the error.
  • A screenshot of the new file with the generic name.  

Can you let me know more about this shortcut and how you open your file from it? Are you not navigating in your Dropbox folder to open it?  Walk me through your clicks please. 

Finally, I would also like to know if there is another app or service, accessing this file.  

Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I have similar problem. Share violation and I can't save the excel. I have logged to Dropbox. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Dropbox but no luck. I am using ms office 2007. I have no issue with word and others. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for joining our discussion, @wfl9618. Welcome to your first troubleshooting thread. Allow me to ask a few questions to make sure I understand what needs to be done. 

Can you save the file successfully, if your quit the Dropbox desktop application? 

Would it be possible to add a screenshot of the error, in your next response please? 

Are you seeing files being created like the author of this topic describes? 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Have the same problem since 2-3 days. Screenshots attached but in polish language - sorry I can't change it. Everything is going ok if I pause the Dropbox sync.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/veilcejztl83vib/AADiFWJ2Up_nGe27LqHh6nwVa?dl=0

Edit:

I get the acces violation error when I use a shortcut or directly from Dropbox folder.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

So like prevoius user  everything is started from last 2-3 days.

And also: if I exit dropbox or stop sync everything is ok: after I edit excel file , save and restart sync everything is ok.

My steps

1 open excel table via shortcut ( from Explorer or from Total Commander, no difference)

2 edit file

3 try to save file got error.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard03.jpgClipboard04.jpg

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I have the exact same error and only on my latest PC - Windows 10. Has only just started happening on Saturday (four days ago). Very frustrating as it's effective rendering Dropbox files useless :(

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

So now I am not alone If I been alone, error could be on my side, but few users with same error and on same time: it must be Dropbox error

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

I can save it to my desktop, document but not to my synced Dropbox folder. My case is similar to pepi1 below and screenshot will be similar. 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

You are definitely not alone. Dropbox updates has caused it. I am an IT professional and all my customers using Dropbox has had this issue and I am posting on behalf of all of them.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?