cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing shared folder. Not recognising desktop app.

Accessing shared folder. Not recognising desktop app.

FrancesAllen
New member | Level 2

My brother in law invited me to share a folder.

I clicked on the link Go to folder and got a web page telling me to download the dropbox app.  I already have it, but could not see how to get past this page, so I downloaded it again. When I was asked to create an account I started to do so, thinking it was just for the shared folder.

Then I realised my brother in law had shared with the family email, not the one which already has a dropbox account. He resent the invitation to the general address, but I am still getting the page asking me to download the dropbox app. 

I’m working on a Mac OS 11.6. I'm logged onto my existing dropbox account with my general email not the family one.  I have a feeling I have managed to tangle up the dropbox data.  Any idea how to get out of this mess?

3 Replies 3

Re: Accessing shared folder. Not recognising desktop app.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @FrancesAllen, thanks for posting on the Community!

Just to clarify, do you have two separate Dropbox accounts now? 

What kind of link did they send? Was it for a shared link to a folder, or a shared folder which needs to be added to a specific account?

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

FrancesAllen
New member | Level 2

Thank you for the prompt response.

Dropbox accounts: yes, I now (inadvertently) have two.

The link sent: It was a shared link to a folder I think.  

This morning my brother in law sent a third link, which worked!  In an email he said:

"In Dropbox's Share dialog there is an option to create & save a link to the folder.  I think anyone with the link can get to the folder rather than access being limited to a specific email address. "

So my particular problem is solved.  But maybe there is a more general problem for people wishing restrict sharing to a specific email?

Anyhow.  Once again thanks for your willingness to help.

Jay
Dropboxer
No worries, just so you know, shared links are used for people without Dropbox accounts to view and download files easily via the site.

Shared folders allows invited Dropbox users to add, edit and delete files directly, and those changes will sync to everyone. 

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    FrancesAllen New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?