Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Accidentally set all files to online only - how can I stop Dropbox syncing 45,000 files?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi

I use smart sync, with some folders local and some online only, and it normally works fine. However, this morning I was trying to download one folder and I accidentally set the whole of Dropbox to "local" instead. Then, to stop it trying to download everything and clogging up our very slow broadband, I tried to override it by setting it all to "online only". Some hours later, it's still syncing 40,000 files and I'm losing things I actually want on my hard drive. Is there any way to tell it to stop, that I've changed my mind???

Thanks in advance

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Accidentally set all files to online only - how can I stop Dropbox syncing 45,000 files?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello and welcome to our Community Katie!

At first, in order to make sure we're on the same page, could you forward me the exact status of the destktop app as shown within your computer's system tray/menu bar and one of your Dropbox Folder's contents merely to check their syncing icons?

Also, note that you can pause the syncing process, apply your Smart Sync settings and then resume it following the steps outlined here:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/sync-time

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there @katie_p

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Accidentally set all files to online only - how can I stop Dropbox syncing 45,000 files?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Walter

Thanks very much for your help with this. I did the pause syncing thing and then changed my preferences for different folders, which did help. The status now says "Syncing 17 files, 22 hours". The icons are now a mix of grey online-only, green and blue. But I would rather have just left everything as it was, as my settings had evolved over time for different folders and I will inevitably have to download files again.

I guess I was just wondering if there is an "undo" function within Dropbox syncing - it would have been good to stop it working and just tell it leave everything as it was, rather than having it sync and delete/download every single file, or go through hundreds of folders to reset my preferences... Is there any way to do that? I did quit the app immediately, but when I restarted it, it just started syncing all the folders again...

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me with this additional detail, Katie; I appreciate it.

As you've performed these actions on your files, our app is merely trying to do its job and finish the sync job that it was assigned with (i.e. marking your files from 'Online only' to 'local'). 

I'm afraid there's no better way to override this action rather than leaving the app sync these changes until it shows 'Up to date' and then set your files/folders to whatever state you wish them to be.

Let me know if you have any more questions @katie_p; I'll be happy to follow up. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

yeh I feel you Katie - I just did the same thing. ~60gb dropbox with about 7gb local. Heaps of granular local/online settings across hundreds of folders and files - all overwritten with one click!!

A little 'are you sure?' message would go a long way Dropbox!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?