cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account Wasn't Found While Logging in And Now All my Files Are Gone

Account Wasn't Found While Logging in And Now All my Files Are Gone

Magen51
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, 

I was recently told my password no longer worked for dropbox, and then when I reset my password it looks like I have an entirely new account. All of my files are gone and they are not in the deleted files section. Is it possible that drop box over-rode my old account while creating a new one to the same gmail address? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

5 Replies 5

Re: Account Wasn't Found While Logging in And Now All my Files Are Gone

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Magen51, thanks for posting on the Community!

You mentioned that you had an old account for Dropbox.

When was the last time you logged into that account before now? In general, if an account hasn't been accessed for over 12 months, then it's deactivated by Dropbox due to inactivity.

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Magen51
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

Thank you for your help. It's very bizarre, because it isn't an old account. It's the same account linked to the same email address I've used for the past ten years. What was bizarre was that when I went to login last night it said that I didn't have an account, and then it created a "new account" linked to the same email address. I even got "welcome to dropbox" emails, even though I have a decade of emails to this same address from dropbox. My colleague said that she had a similar issue occur when she got bumped off of a client's professional dropbox account, and that she had to upgrade to a professional account and contact support to get her files back. They essentially needed to revert her account back to its old self. I'm really hoping that's still the case and that the support email responds to me soon. The whole situation has been so bizarre. I had to go to all my other clients and request they give access to their shared files again. I don't know how this happened. 

Jay
Dropboxer
Were you part of a Dropbox Business team with another user as the team admin?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Magen51
Explorer | Level 3

Hello!

Yes I was, but I don't understand how their revoking of that access would take away my access to my own personal account and files that I've had for ten years? Do you know how that would happen or how to resolve?

Take Care,

Magen

Jay
Dropboxer
If you were part of the Dropbox Business team, the team admin technically owns your entire account, including all data within.

They are able to suspend or delete your account, given that they are the team admin.

In general, a new account under the same email address can't be created for 7 days, since the team admin has the ability to recover a deleted account within 7 days. After that period, the account is unrecoverable, and a new Dropbox account can be created.

As you were able to create an account with the same email, this means it has been longer than 7 days. You'll need to check with the admin to see if they still have a copy of your files on their system. They may be able to share them with you via shared folders.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Magen51 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?