Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Advice on combining "shared storage" and "back-up" solutions? (2 in 1)

Helpful | Level 6

I want to use my 2TB Dropbox account for the following:

1. To share specific projects with collaborators.
2. To offload some files to keep my internal SSD happy.
3. To share files between my stationary and laptop.
4. To make a seperate back-up (once a day/week) of my whole computer.

1-2 is easy and something I'm already doing, 3-4 is what I need guidance with.

I'm on macOSX and I could use the app "Backup for Dropbox" to sync "non-dropbox" folders on my stationary and my laptop. With this solution I would get ther freedom to share everything between my computers (media, documents, projects) and I would have a copy in the cloud. However it wouldn't be a secure back-up since if I accidently deleted a file I would automatically delete it in the cloud and on the other computer as well (and if I don't notice within 30 days it's gone forever). Also it would be lot of individual files and I don't know how much this would strain my set-up.

Or I could use the app "Cloudberry Backup" which let's me make a scheduled image back-up of my complete harddrive to the cloud (sort of like Time Machine but for the cloud). This image will also be encrypted (!) before upload and there's no accidental deletion since I'm not working off of this file. The positive is that I can use this image file to start over or go back in time if my system ever crashes. But the negative is that it wouldn't solve number 3, I would still have to sync a lot of other files between the computers, both to work from but also for maintenace purposes (my laptop would mirror my stationary).

Any feedback or advice on these options?
What would be the best solution for my needs do you think?

Thank you for your help!

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: Advice on combining "shared storage" and "back-up" solutions? (2 in 1)

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @EMJO - how are you today?

I won't be able to comment on 3rd party apps or services but I think you'd be interested in our selective sync feature which allows you to choose which folders to sync to a particular computer and it's a great option if you'd like to free up disk space.

As per syncing across your devices, why don't you simply install our desktop application on both? From there, you'll be able to select which folders you'd like to be synced on each device according to your needs via the app's preferences through the selective sync option.

Let me know if I'm missing something crucial here please!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Advice on combining "shared storage" and "back-up" solutions? (2 in 1)

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Walter,

Yes, I'm already using the desktop application on both computers and selective sync for offloading purposes. This solved my first two needs but the second two needs is why I posted for advice. Looking for guidance when it comes to sharing files not in the dropbox folder between two computers and also how to make a more secure scheduled back-up of whole computer. I'm hoping for community advice, third party solutions or simple work arounds.

Thank you!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?