Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

After changing my email, I can't see my documents on my account

Helpful | Level 5

After unlinking from an email address and linking to a different one I have lost years of documents and cannot find how to get them back.  Any help from teh community possible? Thank you in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: After changing my email, I can't see my documents on my account

Helpful | Level 5

Thank you very much for your help.  I resolved my problem. 

Sincerely yours, 

Luigi 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey, @luigi1949, welcome to our online community!

Let’s see if we can figure this out together. Please tell me exactly what has happened. 

• Did you just change your email address on your Dropbox account? 

• Are you able to sign in to your Dropbox account online with the new email address

• Are you able to sign in to your Dropbox account with your old email address

• If so, what do you see there? 

• How many Dropbox accounts do you have? 

Let me know, and please feel free to include any other details that might be helpful.

Thanks!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

First of all I want to thank you for your interest in my problem and for having taken the time to getting back to me. 

The good news is that in the meantime I have recovered the documents that I had lost access to.

That takes away the anxiety and the urgency of my initial post.

I want to try my luck and see if with this post I can be helped to understand how Dropbox works when more than one email address is used.

I have a Dropbox tied to email address 'A' that I am using since 5 years and that I recently upograded to 2T. When I connect to Dropbox using this email address, I can find the documents that I thought were lost. I can also see some newer documents. These newer documents were in a Dropbox for which I have been given ownership recently.    

I have also a Dropbox tied to email 'B' that I have created recently (standard size, free).  In this one I can't see the documents that I thought lost, only some newer documents. This 'B' is the valid email address that I use currently.

I had deleted my 'A' gmail address long time ago, is that a problem that I still have it for my first Dropbox? Or will it pose a problem ?

May I delete the  'B' Dropbox and change the 'A' Dropbox to link to the 'B' email address without losing access to its content?

As you can see I miss the baisc understanding  of the structure of Dropbox, at least that is what I feel.

Thank you for any help that you may want to provide, I do really appreciate.

Best regards,

Luigi Marchesi

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi again, @luigi1949.

Glad to hear that you found the files you were looking for!  

Let’s take a look…

An email address can only be associated with one Dropbox account at a time. Also, a Dropbox account can only have one email address associated with it. 

Now, about the files in your accounts. What were you “given ownership” of? Did someone share these documents with you? When looking at these files in your account online, do you see that there are other users that have access to them, or “only you”? 

If you can see the same documents in two different Dropbox accounts, it is usually because they have been shared from one account to the other. 

About having deleted your account’s email address, yes, this can be a big problem! If you forget your password, or we need to get in touch with you for any type of account-related support, our emails won’t reach you. I suggest changing your email address right away, to one that you have access to. 

If you don’t need, or want, to keep your B Dropbox account, you can delete it completely with the steps shown here. NOTE: Deleting a Dropbox Basic, Plus, or Professional account can not be undone.

If you delete your B Dropbox account, then the email address that is associated with it will be freed up, so you could change your A Dropbox’s email address to it! 

I hope this makes sense, and helps clear things up. Let me know if you have any further questions. 

Thanks

Sanchez

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thank you very much for your help.  I resolved my problem. 

Sincerely yours, 

Luigi 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey again, @luigi1949.

I’m glad to hear that you have resolved the issue. Thanks for letting me know. 

Take care!

Sanchez

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?