cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

After syncing folders on local drive, I can't copy them to a different location

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I synced some large folders to my local computer and would like to copy them to a new location.     When I attempt to copy the files,  it begins placing the main folder and a few other files then immediately displays the following error:

" An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file.  If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem"  Error 0x80070780: The file cannot be accessed by the system"

what I've done: 

Once I synced the online Dropbox files,   I disconnected the account from the drive to reduce the likelihood of accidental deletion.

Restarted computer

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: After syncing folders on local drive, I can't copy them to a different location

Super User II
Super User II

Were the files marked as Local, or Online-only? If they were Online-only then what you synced were just the placeholders for the files. You need to make sure the files are fully synced to your local drive and display a green check mark. Only then are the actual files on your computer, at which point you can move or copy them as needed.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: After syncing folders on local drive, I can't copy them to a different location

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Do you use Smart Sync?!

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I don't know what that is... so probably no. 

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Were the files marked as Local, or Online-only? If they were Online-only then what you synced were just the placeholders for the files. You need to make sure the files are fully synced to your local drive and display a green check mark. Only then are the actual files on your computer, at which point you can move or copy them as needed.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks for help!  

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?