cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After uninstalling DB from Win 10, some QuickLinks are broken -- still have a /Dropbox/ directory ??

After uninstalling DB from Win 10, some QuickLinks are broken -- still have a /Dropbox/ directory ??

Explorer | Level 3

Earlier today (10/31) I installed DB.  I quickly realized it was providing services I don't need so I immediately UNinstalled it.  The UNinstall seemed to go fine -- no error messages.  But now I'm finding that some of my QuickLinks are broken.  I discoved one of the file(s) with broken links in the following directory:

C:confused face:Users/USERNAME/Dopbox/My PC...   Folders I see here are:  Desktop, Documents and Downloads all newly created (10/31).  No wonder the QuickLink is broken!   

I have not rebooted my computer since the install/UNinstall, and I'm afraid to do so!  Is a reboot going to fail?!  Since I UNinstalled DB, why is there still a Dropbox directory?  Is this a disaster?  Are there Dropbox directories all over my compter now?  I'm not sure of the extent of the problem and I'm afraid to reboot because a boot up might fail!  Not sure what to do and afraid to change anything because if it's not a disaster already I don't want to create one my moving anything or even copying such important folders.  Please help!  

7 Replies 7

Re: After uninstalling DB from Win 10, some QuickLinks are broken -- still have a /Dropbox/ direc...

Dropboxer

Hi @wrobert3; welcome to our Community!

It seems like you enabled the computer backup feature upon installing our desktop app on your computer. 

Did you follow these steps to disable it properly before uninstalling the desktop application?

Let me know what you find! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: After uninstalling DB from Win 10, some QuickLinks are broken -- still have a /Dropbox/ direc...

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter! 

Thank you for your reply.

No, I did not disable DB before uninstalling it.  I uninstalled almost immediately after the install completed without knowing anything about backups or how the software works.  I realized DB was offering more features than I needed and ran the unistall right away.  

Can you offer any suggestion as to what I should do at this point?  

Thanks for your help.

Dropboxer

Hey @wrobert3!

Since you uninstalled the app without disabling the backup, please try these steps to reset the default folder path for the Desktop, Downloads and Documents folder.

You can then move the files from the "My PC" folder in Dropbox back to the original locations on your computer.

Let me know if that does the trick!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne and thank you for your help!

Following your steps, I can use File Explorer to navigate to either of the following: 

C:confused face:Users\wrobe_000\Dropbox\My PC (BobzWindows\Desktop or \Documents or \Downloads (which all have a Location tab with a "Restore Default" button.)   Desktop and Documents here have all my files and folders.  Downloads is empty (except for .ini) because I use an external harddrive for my downloads. 

OR

C:confused face:Users\wrobe_000\Desktop or \Doucments (which do NOT have a Location tab.  )  These are completely empty folders!  

Since the steps you referenced above say "navigate to the Desktop folder in File Explorer (not the folder in Dropbox)" and click the "Restore Default" (which which isn't even an option here because there's no location tab) I'm not sure what to do or where to do it.

I don't want to do the wrong thing and make matters worse. 

I hope I'm not missing something obvious. 

I thank you again for your help. 

Dropboxer

Of course, always better to be safe @wrobert3!

You can indeed do this from within the Dropbox folder then, if you're only seeing the location tab from there.

Usually, the option would appear for the original OS folders, but if you don't see that option there then it wouldn't be an issue to do it from the Dropbox folders.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne, 

I started with the documents folder because I thought it less risky than desktop or downloads folders.

I went to the documents folder in dropbox, location tab and clicked "Restore Default".  That went fine.

It asked me "Do you want to move all the files from old location to new location?"  I clicked "Yes".  

Error messsage:  The Folder Can't be Moved Here

Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under "C:confused face:Users\wrobe_000\Dropbox\MY PC (BobzWindows\Doc and followed by a very long hexadeciamal string.

Access is denied.  

I'm not sure why this is happening.  But now that the default location seems to be reset correctly, can I just "copy" or "move" (drag) all the contents myself?   Or should I delete the documents folder, recreate it and then use the "Move" button on the Location Tab?    

Sorry this is draggin on but I've never done this before and I don't want to mess things up.

I've been avoiding rebooting since I installed and uninstalled Dropbox because I'm not sure if having an empty Desktop folder in the original location would cause a problem during reboot.  Or will the reboot software find the Desktop folder in Dropbox without a problem?  Certainly I don't want to change the default location without moving the contents as well.  I just keep putting my computer to sleep.  

Thanks again for your help.  

Dropboxer

Since you mentioned it appears that the folder path was indeed reset @wrobert3, please try and move or copy/paste some files from the "My PC" folder back to the original places on your computer.

If you have any trouble with this, please feel free to send some screenshots as the visual is always helpful.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?