cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After unsyncing folders on Mac desktop app, the space taken on my Mac moved to "System". Any ideas?

After unsyncing folders on Mac desktop app, the space taken on my Mac moved to "System". Any ideas?

New member | Level 2

I'm using a 2017 MacBook Pro running Mojave OS 10.14.5.

My Dropbox files were taking up too much space on my hard drive, so I used Selective Sync to unsync some folders. However, all of that space seems to have transfered over to system files instead of freeing up space on the hard drive. I've tried uninstalling the Dropbox app, deleting all my Dropbox folders/files, emptied the trash, and shutdown/rebooted my computer and the hard drive space remains unchanged.

3 Replies 3

Re: Phantom/Ghost Files after Unsyncing Folders on Mac Desktop App

Dropboxer

Hey there @AC135, I hope you're well today!

Can you try clearing the cache folder for the desktop app with the steps outlined here and let me know if that does the trick?

This is a hidden folder, so if you deleted the contents of the Dropbox folder but didn't empty the cache folder, this could be what's causing the space to show in "System" files.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Hi Daphne - I cleared the Dropbox cache according to the instructions but it did not make a difference. 

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @AC135!

That's rather strange, if you've reinstalled the app and even completely deleted the local Dropbox folder, then it would suggest the space is being taken up by something else.

Can you let me know if emptying the Trash bin on your computer does the trick? Please only delete this if you're sure you don't want to recover any files from there at a later point.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?