Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After upgrade to 3.x the dropbox tray icon is missing (XFCE, Xubuntu 14.04.1 x64)

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

After upgrade to 3.x the dropbox tray icon is missing (XFCE 4.x, Xubuntu 14.04.1 x64)
I already removed the .dropbox-dist folder and started from scratch, but the icon is still missing.
The daemon is running, the notifications appear, however the tray icon doesn't.

58 Replies 58
Highlighted

Re: After upgrade to 3.x the dropbox tray icon is missing (XFCE, Xubuntu 14.04.1 x64)

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

A similar problem has appeared in Linux Mint 14 (64-bit) Desktop Mate 1.4.2.
Yesterday I noticed that a new Dropbox tray icon replaced the previous one automatically.
However, when I turned on my notebook this morning the Dropbox tray icon was missing.
The Dropbox on my notebook is running and it communicates with the Dropbox servers correctly.
Thus the only problem seems to be the missing tray icon.

Should I take any steps to fix the problem? Or is it a bug and I have to wait till it gets fixed
by Dropbox people?

Highlighted

Re: After upgrade to 3.x the dropbox tray icon is missing (XFCE, Xubuntu 14.04.1 x64)

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Same things happens in fedora 21 (MATE Desktop)

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Yesterday I did an apt-get upgrade and then after reboot, the tray icon appeared...
So, for me at least, the problem is solved!

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Carlos, could you, please, share the command you used to fix the problem?
I am not so literate in this field to be sure not to screw up even simple things ...
thanx

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I did:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade

Then several libs were updated...
Maybe one of these libs are related to the newer dropbox version.
After a reboot, problem solved!

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

"sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade"

Unfortunately, it did not work. The tray icon still missing.
It is possible I would need to upgrade my Mint to newer
version. Something for the Xmass holiday to do ...

Nevertheless, I am still puzzled why I was able to see
the change of the old tray icon to the new one
on the day the Dropbox got upgraded. I am missing
the icon from the first restart of my computer afterwards.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

It's happening to me too. The daemon starts, but there's no icon on the systray. It showed up once, when I first run the installer, but then when I try to restart the daemon, didn't show anymore. I tried re-installing the daemon from the tar package, and installing from the .deb, but nothing made the systray icon appear.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This seems to be the most active thread on the topic. My Dropbox icon icon is also missing in both Debian 7 and 8 (running Gnome 3.4 and 3.14, respectively). To be precise, the icon is not vsible, but if I right-click around in the panel long enough (in the location where I think the icon should be) I can sometimes bring up the context menu.

Anyone from Dropbox care to address this problem? It's making it very challenging to use your product on Linux.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Same here. Workarounds like:
dropbox stop
dropbox start

Didn't work.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?