cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After upgrading my plan, my file thumbnails on my computer show a grey x. Why is that?

After upgrading my plan, my file thumbnails on my computer show a grey x. Why is that?

Terrycw
Explorer | Level 3

I just upgraded my Dropbox, but I've had it for many, many years.  The only thing I use Dropbox for is auto-upload of cell phone photos.  I usually go in and delete any I don't want and then I'll save some, but moving them, to my hard drive.  The rest stay there for easy access.  2020 has kicked all our butts and I and I am using this more now.  So I upgraded.   Two days ago I noted that some screen captures I saved to my phone for a project were uploaded to DB. Ok, that's normal.  So I went into DB and moved those photos to my desktop folder for that project.  I then deleted them from DB. All of these photos are on my desktop, in a folder and show only a generic thumbnail with an X on them.  They view fine, but this is annoying as I don't usually rename every photo and rely on seeing the thumbnail.  This has never happened before.  Why now?  I am sure I missed a setting or something simple, can someone help?  Thanks!

6 Replies 6

Re: moving pictures

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey there @Terrycw, thanks for reaching out!

Just to clarify, after moving the files to your Desktop, they can be opened and viewed fine, but the thumbnails for the files are showing a grey x, right?

Since you upgraded your plan, I'm wondering if you might be using Smart Sync at all for your files.

Once they have downloaded to the Dropbox folder, do the files show a green tick sync icon, or a grey cloud?

Could you also send me a screenshot of the thumbnail icon that you're seeing for your files?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Terrycw
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

I do not believe I have smart sync on.  I am the only user and these are not shared.  I had to upgrade because I have four computers in the house that needed to access the same dropbox and the free version would not allow that without the upgrade. (I'll never use 2TB of pics on my phone! lol)

Here is a screen shot of part of my desktop showing the images I moved from DB and how they appear now. 

desktopscreenshot.png

Thank for any help you might be able to suggest.

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for that @Terrycw!

If you right click one of the files and go to the "properties", can you send me a screenshot of that too?

If there's any personal info in there, you can blur this out from the screenshot. I'm mostly wondering what the file type is and the size that the file is taking on the disk.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Terrycw
Explorer | Level 3

This is a screen grab of one of the photo properties.

thanks for your help!

pic properties.png

Terrycw
Explorer | Level 3

Haven't heard back and this is getting worse.  I use an app called Square pic to edit photos for my online store and it will not open any of the "x'd" photos.  I upgrade my dropbox because I am using a new computer and it would not allow me to install DropBox on it because 4 or my other devices have DB.  I'll remove it from another computer, downgrade back to the free version which I had no problems with for many years.  IF that doesn't fix this, I'm done with Dropbox and will begin using Google photos.

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey there @Terrycw; I'm sorry to jump in here.

I just wanted to ask if you could maybe move those files in your Dropbox folder and then back in to see if that helps improve matters at all. 

Just make sure to give enough time to the app to sync those changes until it shows it's 'up to date' in you system tray

Let us know of any updates!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?