cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After using Smart Sync, how do I delete the local files to free up space on my Mac?

After using Smart Sync, how do I delete the local files to free up space on my Mac?

loshman
Explorer | Level 3

I am trying to free up space on my Mac, so I turned on Smart Sync for nearly all of my folders. 

1. How do I know when Smart Sync is done doing it's job?

2. How do I go about deleting the items on my local Mac drive without deleting them in Dropbox?

There used to be little blue and green icons that showed which items were synced from those that were local. I can no longer see them. Is there a way to have them appear so I know what I'm working with in case I wish to have a file be local only down the road?

(I can't update my Mac because the files that should be online only are being stored locally, and I need to free up space for the upgrade.)

Thanks,

Linda

5 Replies 5

Re: After using Smart Sync, how do I delete the local files to free up space on my Mac?

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hi there @loshman, thanks for posting today!

When using Smart sync, there's no need to actually delete your files for the space to be freed up. Smart sync does that for you.

However, if you don't see any syncing icons on your files, that's an indication that your Dropbox application is not running properly.

Do you see a small Dropbox icon in your menu bar? What do you see when you hover your mouse over it?

Keep me posted.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: After using Smart Sync, how do I delete the local files to free up space on my Mac?

loshman
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah,

Yes, the Dropbox icon is in my menu bar. When I hover over it, it says Dropbox 124.4.4912 Up to date.

When I see the actual files taking up space on my Mac, several of them are videos that are marked as On-line only, but they show up as taking up space on my computer. There are quite a number of those items and they are set to Smart Sync. I've included a screenshot to show what it looks like on my end. All of these items are set to On-line only but they're clearly taking up valuable computer space. What do you suggest?

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 3.08.49 PM.png

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @loshman, you're not running the latest version of the Dropbox desktop application, since it should be on version 132.4.3800. 

Could you try downloading and installing this version from here?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

loshman
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

I updated Dropbox to the most current update, but I still don't see the green or blue dots indicating if a document is local or online only. Again, I don't keep documents on my computer; I put them all on Dropbox. I'm confused, then, why when I look at the documents taking up the most space on my Mac, they are Dropbox items that I've set to "online" only. The update didn't affect that. Help!

Thanks.

Jay
Dropboxer
If you're not seeing the sync icons in the Dropbox folder in Finder, then it could mean the Dropbox desktop application isn't running or syncing.

Could you try enabling the 'Smart Sync update for Mac' from this page?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    loshman Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?