cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Company Files Syncing When Attempting Smart Sync for Select Files - Cannot Stop

All Company Files Syncing When Attempting Smart Sync for Select Files - Cannot Stop

dpotts
New member | Level 2

Hello,

My company uses Dropbox as a server for all of our shared files.  I have used Smart Sync to keep my files local so that I would always have access to them.  I am unaware of what exactly happened, but at some point the older files I had quit syncing ad will not open up through file explorer (I run Windows 10 Pro v.21H1).  

I noticed that when I clicked on the Dropbox icon in the taskbar, it said that Smart Sync was experiencing an issue.  At this point, I thought that re-syncing only my files via Smart Sync would alleviate the issue.  I started to click on individual file folders to ensure that each one was local.  The screen flashed after I added 4-5 of them, then Dropbox started syncing all company files to my local device.  I cannot stop this process, only pause it.    My machine does nt have the storage capacity or capability to have all of these files on my local device.  Can someone help please assist me in restoring my Dropbox and device?

Thanks,

David

5 Replies 5

Re: All Company Files Syncing When Attempting Smart Sync for Select Files - Cannot Stop

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @dpotts, thanks for using Dropbox and welcome to the Community!

Is it possible that you've enabled the option to 'save hard space automatically' (auto-Smart Sync) through the app's preferences at some point, David?

Could you send us a screenshot of the app's status as shown in your system tray at the moment?

This will help us assist further!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: All Company Files Syncing When Attempting Smart Sync for Select Files - Cannot Stop

dpotts
New member | Level 2

Hi Walter,

Thank you for your help.  Here is a screenshot of the tray:

dpotts_0-1628274120106.png

I do not know if I have enabled that feature or not.    I hope this helps.

Walter
Dropboxer
You'll need to go to the app's preferences to see if you've enabled that feature @dpotts

To do so, click on your avatar (as shown in your screenshot) and then go to preferences.

From there, navigate to the Sync tab to see if the option to 'save hard space automatically' is toggled on. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dpotts
New member | Level 2

Walter,

I was out of the office travelling yesterday, but made the changes you mentioned this morning.  Should I unpause the file syncing?  Is there any way to stop that?

Thanks,

Walter
Dropboxer
Yes, you should resume syncing for these changes to take effect @dpotts

Keep me posted on your progress!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    dpotts New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?